2002 Toyota Camry Servicing

SUDHIR71
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi,

I just purchased used car from dealer. Can you please tell me generally what dealer does when they sell the cars.

Do I require to do full servicing. When we say full servicing what does that means.

I am bit confused
Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 6:55 PM

ZACKMAN
I value your curiosity for knowledge, but just to let you know that you are opening a can of worms. OK, let's get started.

[quote] I just purchased used car from dealer. Can you please tell me generally what dealer does when they sell the cars. [End quote]

It all depends. Did you get it from a Toyota dealership, other dealership (one that has new car sales) or from a used car dealership. Usually, if you get a used car from the same brand dealer (example: buying a used Toyota from a Toyota dealer), the dealership will put a "little" bit more emphasis in checking the car before putting it out on the lot. Usually the car will go through 40-point checks ("Certified Used" goes through a more rigorous checks). Reason: They want you to come back to purchase a new one down the road. Other new/used dealer, not so much emphasis. They will fix things that will impair state safety/emission procedures. They still want you to come back, but buying their new products. A used dealer usually just make sure the car looks good, drives OK, and no check engine light (spending as less as possible fixing the car) and they will put it out on the lot.

[quote] Do I require to do full servicing. When we say full servicing what does that means. [End quote]

Not knowing the full history of the vehicle, I would if I were you. Th rule of thumb is that you would do the comprehensive routine maintenance. In your case, I would suggest that you complete all the 60K miles maintenance schedule.

Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace air conditioning filter
Replace automatic transmission fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace manual transmission oil
Rotate tires

Inspect the following:
* Ball joints and dust covers
* Brake lines and hoses
* Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
* Differential oil
* Drive belts 4
* Drive shaft boots
* Engine valve clearance
* Exhaust pipes and mountings
* Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
* Fuel tank cap gasket
* Steering gear box
* Steering linkage and boots

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Rough, Muddy or Snow-Melted Roads
* Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
* Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier

Applicable Footnotes:
4) Initial inspection at 60,000 miles. Inspect every 15,000 miles thereafter.
Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 9:05 PM