2002 Toyota Camry Idle speed

DHATZIPA
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
This is an intermittent problem, happens every couple months. After cold start and 10 minutes of warm up, at a stop, engine cuts off and idle can not be sustained. Restarting is difficult and requires stepping on gas pedal. During this time engine runs rough and cannot be kept alive at all. After waiting for 10 minutes or so with engine off, engine comes back to normal.

Toyota dealer could not diagnose the problem, their computer does not detect anything. Of course by the time we take the car to the dealer, this effect is over! Dealer has replaced the Idle Control Valve, but this did not fix the issue.
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 3:54 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

To better assist you please tell me if your model is a LE, SE, Solara SE, Solara SLE, or XLE. Also the engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.
-1
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 1:35 AM
IMPALASS
Hello

I apologize one other thing. Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or OReillys (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you dont get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.
-1
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 1:36 AM
DHATZIPA
The Camry is SE, 8th digit in VIN is K.
Note dealer scanned the vehicle several times, no bad codes came up!
So, what could be the issue?
-1
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 9:07 PM
IMPALASS
Hello

There are several things that can cause these symptoms. There are a couple of sensors, MAF, Intake Air temperature and Coolant. A defective engine coolant temperature sensor can cause most of the symptoms you are having. You would need a digital volt meter to check. Do you have that?
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 9:48 PM
CHASESHAW
Did you ever get an answer to this? Am having the same problems and have adjusted the throttler, and replaced the whole IAC control assembly and still having the same problem on mine.
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 10:45 AM
IMPALASS
Hello Chaseshaw

No I have not received back any info yet
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:40 PM