2001 Toyota Camry vibrates while idling in "drive"

KVLAR78
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hello, while in Neutral or Park my car idles at approximately 650-700 RPM and I feel no vibration. When I put it in drive, but with my foot still on the brake and the car is NOT in motion the idle speed drops to 550-600 RPM and the car starts vibrating.
Is there any sort of adjustment that I can perform myself without taking it to the shop
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Please check this first, start the car and pull on the hand brake, have the A/C off and put it into drive, with the foot brake off. What is the idle speed and quality like now?

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:30 PM
Sounds more like a vacuum leak on the hose to the brake booster or the booster is leaking. If its happening only when brakes are being applied.
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 12:45 AM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

As the last post has mentioned, this will be a way of proving the booster, do this test and a mod will advise on where to go next.

Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 1:58 AM
To check the vacuum booster, pump the brake pedal with the engine off until you've bled off all the vacuum from the unit. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. You should feel the pedal depress slightly as engine vacuum enters the booster and pulls on the diaphragm. No change? Then check the vacuum hose connection and engine vacuum. If okay, the problem is in the booster and the booster needs to be replaced.
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 2:02 AM
KVLAR78
I tried the hand brake test and I don't feel any difference. The car shakes the same way while idling in drive with the foot brake applied or not. Also, shaking gets worse when a/c is on
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 8:48 AM
When it starts shaking/vibrating-Do you have a check engine light and when the last time you had a tune-up?

Does it do it when the engine is cold or hot?
+1
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 3:09 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there also have the A/C idle up valve checked for operation.

Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 5:25 PM
Could be the idle up solenoid not getting vacuum from the VSV when the compressor engages to compensate for the additional load from AC. Then again it might be entirely a different story. Could be a loose motor mount/s ETC
-1
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM
KVLAR78
It vibrates only when thoroughly warmed up. Check engine light does not come on. Don't know when the last tune up was done as I bought it few months ago. Where is the idle up valve and how do I check it myself?
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 10:05 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there, you don't always get a light on with a set fault code, so it would be a good idea to get a scan to make sure.

Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 10:12 PM
Disregard the idle up air valve and clean out the mass airflow sensor and the idle air control valve and test the throttle position sensor.
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 10:20 AM