2001 Toyota Camry Engine will not start

RDL014
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
Car started to keep battery charged, left idleing about 10 minutes, check engine light came on. Put car back in garage. Started 2 days later to back out of garage to make room, engine light still on, and put back in garage. Now, engine turns over with ample starting speed but will not even attempt to catch and run. Ran OBD and got PO441 code. Checked and sure enough, the gas cap was loose. Tightened cap and reset codes. Engine still will not start. Battery will not take a full charge, but will still spin engine at a good speed. What should I do next?
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM

Hi rdl014, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Lets do below to determine if its a compression, fuel or spark problem and get back with some testing results we start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester designed for your fuel system to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pick-up strainer/fuel pump/pressure regulator and also listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light and see if it flashing-Depends on what type ignition system is yours, No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply to your vehicle disregard it and keep checking and testing.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 2:31 AM
The PO441 code-will not cause the engine not to start-you have to look for fuel and spark-please follow the procedure I gave on my last post and get back with me for further assistance.
+1
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 11:49 PM