1999 Toyota Camry Trouble starting up

NIKITHEBOSS
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
I am having some trouble starting my Camry. When I turn the key in the ignition, it doesn't do anything - engine doesn't turn, no clicks. All the indicator lights on the dashboard are still on, even the music system and fan works. It does start after a few tries - sometimes it takes more tries, sometimes it starts on the 1st or 2nd try itself. It varies.

I checked the battery a couple of times, but it doesnt have any problems (new battery). I took it to autozone to pull engine codes, but since the engine light wasn't coming on, they couldn't pull any.

I initially made a post at:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1999-toyota-camry--cold-starting-problem-vt215575.html

That was when we had sub-zero temperatures (in houston) and I thought it was a cold starting problem. However, now with the temperatures going up, low temperatures don't seem to be responsible for the starting troubles.

Does anyone have experience with such a problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

ZACKMAN
That sounds like your starter. Get a DVOM and test voltage at the starter. Have an assistant crank and check voltage at the starter connection. If you get 12V, but the starter doesn't crank, your starter is bad.
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 10:57 PM
NIKITHEBOSS
Thanks Zackman,

I'll do that later today and post what happens.
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM
ZACKMAN
We'll be right here.
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
NIKITHEBOSS
I had the charging system and alternator tested at Autozone - it was working fine. As far as the starter goes, I was told that I'll have to remove the starter and bring it to Autozone for them to test it. I'll try to do that sometime this week - hopefully I should be able to do it using the Toyota Camry Repair Manual.
Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 11:06 AM
ZACKMAN

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99camrystarter_1.jpg

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 11:04 PM
NIKITHEBOSS
I took it to firestone - they tested it. Initially, the mechanic didn't find anything wrong. He gave me a clean chit for the starter - saying that it was most probably the fuel injection system that needed cleaning (havn't done that for almost 70k miles now). However, after we were done discussing what was involved in the fuel injection clean up, fuel filter replacement and stuff, when he tried to start the car to pull it out of the shop, he couldn't do so - and diagnosed it as the starter - based on the clicks that he heard. I've given the camry to the firestone to get it replaced - will be getting it back later today.

I'll post if the problem is resolved.
Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
ZACKMAN
Cool.
Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 AT 8:14 PM
NIKITHEBOSS
No starting woes today! Thanks for your suggestions Zackman - I really appreciate it.
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 8:09 AM
ZACKMAN
There you go.
Stop by any time.
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 10:02 PM