Problem with Windows?

MSFAS1
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hello to all:

I can't figure out if the motor in my windows are going bad or not. It started out with the front passenger window last year, but I didn't worry about it so much since we rarely let that side up or down. However, when we did it went down fine but was always very slow going back up (now extremely slow). This year I started having the same problem with the driver window which within time it does eventually go back up. But I've noticed when its very hot outside the window won't respond at all untl the car has been running for a few mininutes. For instance I try to leave the window cracked while at work. After I get off and try to roll the window back up after I've got the A/C on, it just does not move, up or down. I took it by a body shop one day before it rained and was told it was more than likely the motor after they tried slamming the doors a few times, I suppose to get it back on track thinking that it may have been off. Can anyone give me advice as to what my problem may be.

Thanks in advance.
Sunday, August 10th, 2008 AT 4:43 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

you will have to remove the trim and check for power to both sides of the motor, if that is OK and the motor is straining to drive, you may have to lube the window tracks as they can bind up the glass if they get to dry, use a dedicated track lube and not a general purpose spray,

This guide will help you test

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/electric-window-repair

mark (mhpautos)
Sunday, August 10th, 2008 AT 5:28 PM
DSCLARK09
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
1999 Toyota Camry Automatic 135000 miles

I know you guys have probably answered this one before, but I need to ask. Both the front driver and passenger side windows will roll down but not up. I can get them to go up maybe a millimeter every time I turn on the car, but never more than that. I've been told to try pouring alcohol down the window well, and to check the fuses on the main fuse box under the hood. But if I can get a little movement every time I turn on the engine, then isn't it a motor problem? Or should I get a multimeter a check the fuses? I certainly can't afford to bring it into the shop.
Any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks!
Tuesday, April 14th, 2020 AT 7:14 PM (Merged)
What you need to do here, is test the master switch
-1
DSCLARK09
How do I test the master switch?
If you're lacking electrical experience best bring it in you might make things worst than it is or just replace the master switch
ROSE22
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
I had the motor (rebuilt) replaced last year on drivers side power window because it would not go up all the way, all the time. 11 months later, I now can not move the window at all - I don't think motor is working - no noise when flipping switch. All other windows work without a problem

Could this be a problem with the motor again or possible fuse? Someone said that it's possible it coule be a fuse if there is a separate fuse for each window. Not sure if Toyota has that.

Any help would be appreciated. Don't really feel like spending another $300 to replace motor again. THANK YOU !
KHLOW2008
Hi Rose22,

Not sure if there are separate fuses so you need to check the fuse boxes, If there are more than 1 indicated, then it most probably has a separate fuse.

It could be the switch or motor that is faulty. It could also be the wiring.
ROSE22
Thanks for response. It started working again yesterday. First thing I tried when it happened was the Child safety locks and that didn't work. I tried it again yesterday for the heck of it (it was pouring cats n dogs!) And it worked ! Tonight it stopped again - I LOCKED the child safety lock and drivers window started working again but the other windows were locked. Crazy. Well it does sound like some sort of wiring issue

Thanks again !
KHLOW2008
Hi Rose22,

Most probably the master switch is having some bad contacts.
JWELCH1
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
My front drivers window stop working and also the back drivers side stop working how do I repair and how much are the parts?
MHPAUTOS
You will have to do some diagnosis on this, you will have to get the switches and motors checked as I feel it will be 2 separate problems as if it was a central controller all windows will be affected, this should be done by a qualified mechanic as a wrong diagnosis will cost a lot of money in wasted parts.

JOHNPI
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY
Wifes passanger car window is completely rolled down and wont roll back up. Sometimes it will but with less frequency and now, yesterday it stopped all together. I'd like to get the window back up without buying a new motor. Is this possible and if so, how? A crank maybe or anyway to make it so she can park her car without leaving it open for whoever walks by. Thank you in advance.
John
WRENCHTECH
The only way to get the glass back up is to get the motor to work at least one more time or take the door apart, disconnect the glass and prop it up with a block of wood or something but that can move around later on you.
JOHNPI
What if I supplied power to the motor from another source? Could it be the switch? Any thoughts on getting window motor to work 1 more time? Thanks
WRENCHTECH
That's still to be determined. Yes, it would work if the motor is not the problem in the first place but there's a good chance it is.
TISOYSAUCE
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
1997 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My driver side power window stopped working today. I worked this morning. All the other windows work as well as the power locks.

I don't hear a motor working.
STEVEW84
When it stops working hit the inside of the door. If it starts working then it needs a motor. But I would still recommend checking to see if you have power and ground to the motor. Have to take the door panel off to do this.
SANTO2010
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
The driver's window gets off the fitting when I try to close the window. Please suggest the possible problem and cost to get it repaired.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2020 AT 7:15 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Do you mean it get's off track?Without removing the door panel to see what's going on it's hard to say how much it will cost without know what's wrong with it.
SANTO2010
You are right. It goes off the track.

Sponsored links