1999 Toyota Camry Oil Filter

EAGLE73
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 210K miles

The last two times that I have changed the oil in my camry the oil filter is full of oil! Since it sits upside down on the block, shouldn't the oil drain out when you drain the engine oil? There appears to be a drain hole or a recirc hole at the bottom of the oil filter mounting area. If this is plugged does that mean that there is no flow through the oil filter during operation? This drain hole or recirc hole goes into the block slanting to the left. I put a rubber coated wire down this hole seven inches and it was full of oil and never did drain. What do I do?

Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 3:59 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello and thanks for donating

There should be oil still in the oil filter, there is no way for the oil to be sucked out of the filter once the vehicle is turned off, therefore some will drain into the filter and stay there. That is why it's best to drain the oil from the pan and then remove the filter, otherwise the oil would come straight down through the oil filter opening when it is removed and you will have a mess.

Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 4:47 PM
EAGLE73

I understand that is the way it is on most vehicles, but on a 99 Camry the oil filter sits on the block with the hole down. I'll send you a picture.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/589604_1106101250a_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/589604_1106101257a_1.jpg

If you look at the block pic, there is a hole below the threaded center hole. Shouldn't the oil drain back to the block through this hole and isn't that where the oil flows back to the engine after it has went through the filter? Thanks!

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 12:12 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

That hole is where the unfiltered oil comes in from the oil pump and enters the filter. Where the threads are at is where the filtered oil goes back out. How has the oil pressure been? Is low oil pressure light coming on?

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 2:56 PM
EAGLE73

Yes, oil pressure seems fine and the oil pressure light has not come on.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 7:16 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Okay i'm going to get another tech that has more knowledge of Toyotas in here, I am more experienced with domestic vehicles. Someone should post back in here soon for more information to you.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 7:19 PM
EAGLE73

Well that makes sense then if that hole is the inlet to the filter, it probably should stay full of oil. I was just thinking that it was the line going back to the block. With the filter being about half full that way it really makes a mess when changing. Thanks a bunch! I am donating more since this took so much dialog, thanks.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 7:41 PM
KHLOW2008

The lubrication system is designed to keep oil from back flowing into the sump so that wnenever the engine is started, oil pressure builds up quickly.

The lower hole comes from the oil pump so it would remain full of oil.

The oil filter has a check valve internally and this would prevent or reduce back flow of oil keeping the oil filter full of oil.

Some after market filters do no have an effective system. The filter tends to dry up fast, usually after overnight parking and over time, the engine would fail faster as the lubrication system takes a longer time to be fully lubricated.

From what you have described, there is nothing wrong with the system.

Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 1:38 AM
FORDRACING24

I'm an ex toyota lube tech, now lexus trainee, there's always going to be oil IN the oil filter. Even the 99 camry's even though it's placed downward every toyota is like that.

Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 7:35 AM