BROKEN DOOR HANDLE

1998 Toyota Camry

psuwolf

January, 11, 2008 AT 11:44 AM

Other Category problem
1998 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

I broke the driver side door handle when opening the door one day. I was able to find a replacement part locally from a parts dealer for about $30. I decided to replace the outside handle myself and got some advice from a mechanic on how to remove the inside door panel to access the bolts for the handle.

What I didn't know is the replacement handle had threaded inserts for the bolts to fit into and the OEM handle had machine screws that cut right into the plastic of the handle. So, now I have stripped one of the inserts for the new handle.

In addition, since I have had the door panel off the inside for about a month and continued to drive my car, I have broken the lock and handle bracket on the inside of the car door as well.

I would like to know how difficult it will be to now replace the inside lock and handle bracket. If it is too involved, I may need to take it to the dealership to replace.

Please help.

Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner
Dynamat Door Installation
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda