1997 Toyota Camry Shifting and reversing

FCOREY
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have a 97 Toyota Camry that I purchased on the island of Grand Cayman 5 years ago. Shortly after I purchased the car I was no longer able to get the transmission to engage and shift into gear. Forward Reverse 1st Gear 2nd would not work. You would press on the accelerator and the engine would only rev as though it were in Neutral. I took it to one of the local garages on island and they told me I needed a completely rebuilt transmission. I forked over the $2300 to rebuild the transmission only to get the car back on the road drive it about 5 miles and have the exact same thing happen again. I brought the vehicle back they did something to it and the car worked fine for about a year.

After this time period the same thing began happening again. I had a backyard mechanic
Flush transmission and clean the filter. He said it was caked with sludge and that fixed the problem for about 3 months then the problem would return. I've had the tranny flushed about 3 times.

Each time the problem resurfaced I would flush the transmission and that seemed to fix the problem. Now the problem is resurfacing and a flush doesn't fix the problem. When using reverse I cannot touch the gas pedal. If I do it slips and only revs the engine. When moving forward it does not shift properly. RPM's rev very high and I have to tap the gas pedal repeatedly to get it to shift into a lower gear.

Any help is appreciated

Thank You
Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 9:32 AM

STEVEW84
I would say needs a trans. Are there any codes? Is the check engine light on? Are there any shifting problems before it stops working completly?
+1
Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 9:38 PM
FCOREY
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments. I brought in the car tuesday to a gas station Garage. No alerts have shown on the dashboard and I do not know anywhere on island that has a computer to hook up for fault lists. I had the trans flushed again and removed the tranny pan and filter completely cleaned with no success. The car has no reverse and when in drive revvs high RPM'. The car only has 69000 miles and had the tranny rebuilt at 40000 miles. The tranny pan had a lot of shavings attached to the magnets. I guess I'll drop another 2' for a rebuild but would like to make sure it lasts longer than 30000 miles. This my first of several Toyotas that has ever had a transmission problem. Why would it go again after 30000 miles?

Thanks for any advice provided.
Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 10:07 PM
STEVEW84
That's what doesn't make any sense. Unless they put something else than trans fluid in it. I have a 98 camry with almost 200k mi on it and I haven't had any problems with it(so far). I worked at a toyota dealer and we never say any problems with trannys. Hope all works out ok.
Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 10:15 PM