SHIFT SOLENOID

1997 Toyota Camry

Lori Martin

May, 26, 2008 AT 9:34 AM

1997 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 212000 miles

I just had both shift solenoids (E) and (D) repaced within 2 weeks of each other. The dealer changed one due to my check light coming on and two weeks later the check light came back on again and the computer read to change another solenoid. Now the car is shifting anywhere from 4 to 5 rpms and jerking when it finally shifts. Another shop told me to get a new transmission, but the dealer said I don't need one, but at the same time can't garrantee after replacing the (2) shift solenoids another one won't need replaced. I've had this car since I bought it new and have taken excellent care of it. What rpms should the car be shifting at? Question: One shop told me not to bother replacing the solenoids b/c I could do that and then still have to get a new or remanufactured transmission. The dealer said no, you never do that and they said I don't need one. They also can't garrantee this is going tosolve the problem. Not sure what to do now?
Also, the engine is idling fast and is very loud. The dealer said the rpms are fine and the car has a lot of miles on it and that's to be expected, but it ran great before these repairs and the engine made no noise. I did have the EGR valve replaced by another repair place before the shift solenoids were replaced, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the car idling fast, I would assume anyway?
Thanks! Lori

May, 27, 2008 AT 12:09 PM

Hi,

It might not be the solenoids that are at fault. Check for poor contact at the wire connectors, they tend to corrode if water gets to them.

It is difficult to specify rpm for gear shifts because it depends on the vehicle speed and angle of throttle opening.

As for the fast idling. Check for inlet manifold vacumn leakage such as punctured or detached hoses. The ISC might be stuck open more than it should be.

Another likely source is the Throttle Position Sensor thus the harsh shifting.