1997 Toyota Camry My Car won't start?

CRISPY07
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
1997 Toyota Camry

The other day I drove my Toyota Carmy in a storm. I drove it through some headlight deep water and my car turned off and the alarm activated. Water came in through the bottom of the car doors covering the floor. I got out took out the Horn fuse in the hood and I threw it in neutral and pushed it to a dry part of the road. Then tried starting it and it does not turn over. The dash lights up fine and all the power locks & windows work fine, but the still does not start or turn over. Its been drying out since but no luck on starting it. I had it towed to a local car shop but they still dont know how to fix it. This happened on June 12, 2008. Can you please help me figure out whats wrong and how to fix it?
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 3:14 PM

If the engine's condition is in tip top shape-do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem that's if its cranking over and refuses to start

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors-

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 3:20 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Crispy07,

Headlight deep water means water can get sucked into the engine. If you cannot crank the engine, you might have a bent conrod.

Try turning the crankshaft by hand and see if you are able to turn it more 360 degrees. If you can, do a compression test.

Check the starter, water might have damaged it.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 11:39 AM