1996 TOYOTA CAMRY STARTING PROBLEM - HAPPENS ONLY SOMETIMES

• SAG_L
  • 1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Automatic 145000 miles

Hi,

My car has strange starting problem. It occurs only once a while. Like once a week only.

Problem is: The engine starts but dies immidiately. If I push the accelerator it stays on only for that time. As soon as I release the accelerator it dies again.

Most Impotantly: It does it only sometimes. If I come back in 15-20 mins. It just starts fine. And doesnt give me any issue for weeks. And then all of a sudden it will do this again.

Can you tell me what could be wrong and how much it may take to repair?

Thanks a lot

Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 1:34 PM

• JDL

Welcome to the forum, with any idle issue, I take the throttle-body off and clean it, Also check the idle air system. Any codes? Fuel pressure ok?

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 11:43 AM
  • SAG_L

Ok.I dont know too much about cars.

1. Tthrottle-body off and clean it - How much will it cost if I go to mechanic shop?

2. Idle air system. Any codes? Fuel pressure ok? - How do I check this?

Also. Are these the reaon why it does it Intermediately? Most fustrating is. It starts perfect otherwise. Only sometimes it starts and dies.

Thanks for you further clarifications
Sag_L

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 11:51 AM
  • JDL

Different shops charge different prices, some will charge 100 bucks or better for the diagnostics even if they don't fix it. Labor and parts is extra. You can call around and ask what they charge for diagnostics and labor, call different shops and compare prices. Usually you get what you pay for, cheapest may not be the best?

Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. Intermittent issues are frustrating, if you take it to a shop, if it isn't acting-up, they may have trouble finding anything? Iac and egr, I would want to know if they are operating properly, if there is a code, it might point you in the correct direction.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_toyota_camry_1.jpg

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 12:29 PM
  • SAG_L

Ok.I am just trying to understand what to tell a mechanic when I go to them.

So. IAC = Idle air control (Is it valve OR a motor?)
And EGR = Exhaust gas re-circulation

Assume they have problems. In that case how much it should cost me to replace them each (just approximate figure please)?

I also feel that my car struggles a bit to start. Usually if other car starts in say 1 sec. My car takes good 2-3 secs to start. Is that because of the same?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Sagar

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 1:01 PM
  • JDL

Hi, I'd charge you at least a hundred bucks for diagnostics. 50 bucks an hour for labor, two hour minimum. R& R remove and replace, Plus the cost of the part. It could cost a little more or less depending on what I find. Different shops charge differently. I really can't give you a descent estimate without looking at it?

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 1:30 PM
  • SAG_L

Ok. It takes more time to start the engine (good 2-3 secs when you turn the key to complete right to start the engine). I have seen other cars which starts just in a secs.

Is it also because of EGR or IAC valve? OR it could be something else also?

Thanks,
SAG_L

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 1:41 PM
  • JDL

You could try cranking with the throttle valve open a little, just to see if it helps. You could also check fuel pressure.

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 2:14 PM
  • SAG_L

Ok Thanks.

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 3:15 PM