1996 Toyota Camry Front catalytic converter

JEFFBOTELLIO
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY
1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl 161000 miles

Hello. I was hoping to locate the front catalytic converter on my car. I have located the rear one on the exhaust pipe but where is the front catalytic located exactly. I thought it should be between the exhaust manifold and rear catalytic converter but all I see are some pipes (including a flex pipe). Right below the exhaust manifold there appears to be a covering with a pipe underneath, is this where the converter is located? It does not appear to be a elbow shaped pipe looking thing like the replacement parts show as a front catalytic converter. Thank you in advance.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 1:57 PM

DON OLIVER
You found it.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 2:11 PM
JEFFBOTELLIO
Thank you so much for your quick reply. It appears I
will need an impact wrench to get the old converter
off the manifold. Clould you maybe suggest another
method for removal as I cannot see a way to get
the impact wrench to some of the rear bolts. Is
there some sort of spray that can be used to loosen
the bolts? Do the new bolts need to be tightened
to a specific torque?

Anyways just a couple more quick questions please.

Assuming I can remove the old converter, and
beyond the getting the new converter bolted in -

Are there any other adjustments or changes I need
to make elsewhere?

The sensor that is directly in the converter comes
out with a regular wrench right?

I am a novice at car repairs and greatly appreciate
your assistance. Thanks again!
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 4:46 PM
DON OLIVER
The sensor that is in the pipe is the forward o2 sensor. You can take it out with a wrench. If you can't remove or access the bolts you might have to remove the entire manifold. Most of the time, you can get to them from underneath. As far as a penetrant, PB Blaster is a good product. There are numerous penetrants depending on the parts store. Wd 40 works slowly and doesn't really do what you want. Why do you want to change the cat anyway. You can tell if its restricted fairly easily by removing the sensor. If there's backpressure causing the car to be sluggish, this will relieve it. It will be noisy but will tell you if thats your problem. Just remember to stick the o2 back in. What are the codes in the computer telling you? If the cat is bad, it really tells you there is another problem. Most of the time, its from overfueling or oil consumption that ruins the cat. Even the government says the cat has to work for 50000 miles. Let me know. Thanks and good luck
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM