1996 Toyota Camry AC Compressor Bypass

DERKSR
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY
AC Compressor is making noise and shop wants to replace the compressor for $550. I don't need the AC and want to bypass it but Toyota said they couldn't do it. What size belt do I need to do this and what do I need to remove or add to get the belt to route correctly?
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 AT 10:53 AM

LEGITIMATE007
Well, why dont you ask them how much they would charge just for labor. If its something you can deal with, then go buy a used compressor. Or you can possibly save hundreds of dollars by buying the compressor yourself from a parts place and just pay them to have it installed. I just don't want you to get ripped off. Now back to the belt situation is it two belts or one? If its one you just would buy the belt for your car without a/c remember the belt will be shorter and you can just put the belt on and skip the a/c. On the other hand if it's two belts well thats alittle more complicated. They sell moch a/c's that you would bolt in the place of your real a/c and you can put both belts back on like nothing ever was changed
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 AT 12:39 PM
DERKSR
I also emailed my Uncle who is a great mechanic and here was his response:

First off the Camry probably was not offered from the factory without A/C. Its a standard feature. That is way Napa doesn't list a belt for one without A/C. I've been down this road several times. It is very difficult to try to route around the A/C. I"v never been able to do it without a major expense. If the car was offered from the factory without A/C then it's different. You can purchase the different tensioners or idlers and go round it like they did. Your in a pickle. The cheapest thing I think you can do is have someone replace the bearing in the hub. I assume thats what is making the noise. You should not have to buy the entire compressor if just the bearing failed. Someone should be able to take it apart, find a bearing and replace it. At this point you don't have to put the clutch back on, just run the pump as an idler.
Thursday, December 20th, 2007 AT 10:18 AM