WON'T START

1996 Toyota Camry

MorrisGA

August, 7, 2007 AT 11:42 AM

I have a 1996 camry LE I4/2.2L with 235,000 miles. It ran as normal yesterday. I cannot start the car this morning (whenever I turn the key on, the engine doesn't run and only one 'click' sound like turn on/off normal switch). All lights are on (the battery is good, < 6 months new). I am wondering if it's the problem of distributor (rotor/cap) or timing belt? I changed timing belt at over 180,000 mile last time & it doesn't reach manufacture suggested 60K yet.

Thank you very much for your help!

August, 7, 2007 AT 6:59 PM

Try cleaning the battery terminals and make sure you have a tight connections-this is where we start-we got a long way to go-to get to the starter

MorrisGA

August, 10, 2007 AT 3:11 PM

I got new battery several mouths ago. The connectors are very clean.

By the way, I changed the distributor cap & rotor after posting the message here. It worked for two days until this morning. I had to crank several times to start it. Looks like somewhere in ingnition part (starter?) Has problem. Whenever getting the sparking, it works fine. At least, I know it's not timing belt wrong. Should I try to change the spark cables next? The cables still are original. I changed the sparks less than a year.

Also, it's 95 not 96. It's 1st time it lets me down besides dead battery.

Thank you very much for your help!

August, 10, 2007 AT 6:40 PM

I had to crank several times to start it. Sounds like we got good battery and starter-lets get in the ignition system change the s/p cables and report back your findings-then will follow thru with the fuel system-meanwhile try to get a fuel pressure gauge, you gonna be needing it

MorrisGA

August, 17, 2007 AT 9:30 AM

I had to crank several times to start it. Sounds like we got good battery and starter-lets get in the ignition system change the s/p cables and report back your findings-then will follow thru with the fuel system-meanwhile try to get a fuel pressure gauge, you gonna be needing it[/quote: 312de88bcb]

Thank you very much for prompt help!
Maybe, I am idle. Do you think it's related to A/C? I tried for a week. Whenever I turn on the A/C, then, I got trouble to start the car 2nd day morning. Besides, only change I did is the oil: I shifted to 5W-30 from 10W-30 on last oil change as I think for summer time 5W is better. I may shift back to 10W this weenend to see if it's the problem.

Thanks again.

August, 17, 2007 AT 3:47 PM

Find the IACV on the throttle body take it out and clean it. There's an idle-up solenoid that the computer commands when the AC kick ons to increase the rpm to compensate for the AC load-check that too.

10W30 to 5W-30 is not a good idea-the thinner the oil the better it is for winter.

MorrisGA

August, 29, 2007 AT 12:05 PM

Thank you very much for prompt help and sorry for delay response.

In the past several weeks, Atlanta is in recorded high temperature. I didn't want to work long time in garage (I think it, at least, takes me a hour to clean IACV) but searched web under AC. The another reason: the idle is under good shape: 800 warm/ 1000 rpm cold. I did change the oil back to 10W, however, it didn't help. In another site, it mentioned this might be the problem of coolant temp sensor. I changed it (only a couple minutes). But, made case worse: I couldn't start at all! Here is my conclusion after several days' thinking: it's time let it retire after over a decade service & 235K. Just like a old guy, he may have no problem to walk or run slowly for a while. But, he will be in trouble if you let him run fast (summer time, light traffic. Over 80 is normal) under severe environment (95-104 F for continue several weeks) and with heavy load (AC on). I really like it but I cannot do much for it. Also, its timing belt closes to the life time too. I may trade or donate it in a couple of months.

Thanks again for valuable comments. I do learn a lot!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test