1995 Toyota Camry Wont start

DGREGO5555
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
My 1995 Camry 2.2 will only start if I advance the distributor past the hold down point. I have check every thing over and over including the timing belt cam position to TDC position, distributor rotor under #1 on the cap. I have back probed the ECM and checked every pin voltage test and all check out ok. I changed the Ecm with a used one purchased from Ebay still the same thing. When the distributor is in the proper position the enging just cranks untill I step on the gas then it back fires thru the throttle body.
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 1:15 PM

BILLYMAC
Hi this is a timeing prob. Maybe the marks you are useing is the wrong ones. As the marks on this engine are deceptive. Try this get no 1 up on tdc roll eng by hand and use a piece of hose inside the spark plug hole roll eng until eng goes all the way to the top and starts it, s downward stroke. Now remove the v/c and make sure the valves are all closed on the no 1 cyl if they are the the mark nearest the notch or extruded indentation are aligned.. Let me know if I can help. Billymac
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 8:10 PM
DGREGO5555
The #1 piston is up @ TDC the cam is @ it's mark. The cam gear has a hole which is aligned with a mark on the cam bearing cap you look thru the hole in the cam gear to align the hole with the mark. When both those are in place both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder which is the one closes to the timing belt. The distributor has alignment marks you align before stabbing back into the head and when those marks are aligned the rotor points to aprox 7 pm postion which is #1 on the cap. I have checked & triple checked the plug wire position, timing belt alignment, distributor position, and everything else over and over again.
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
BILLYMAC
Hi, sorry I really don, t know. Resubmit your question and under subject request toyota tech. He will be able to help you sorry billymac
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 5:35 PM
DGREGO5555
I finally got it figured out. Something kept bugging me that was the wire on the original pig tail was black and it was on the end of the pig tail but both all of the wiring diagrams and both pig tails I had including one off of a 93 camry showed the black wire in the middle. I found the original pig tail I cut off and broke it apart to find the wire colors and they turned out to go different prongs on the distributor that the other pigtails and different than all of the wiring diagrams. Motors, Mitchell, Autozone & Haynes repair manuals all had it wrong. Wow I i hadn't kept the old connector I doubt this would have ever got fixed. Thanks for all the help. Dan
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 1:02 AM