1995 Toyota Camry stalling

CAMRYMAN10
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
The check engine light comes on and the car stalls frequently, usually after running for a while. Used a jumper wire in the diagnostics module and repeatedly get a code 22, water temp sensor circuit failure. Toyota mechanic suggested birping radiator which I did but didn't help. The car will always crank back up after a few minutes. This is getting more and more frequent. When the CEL comes on I can sometimes keep it running by pumping the gas rapidly and the light goes back out but more often the engine dies.
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 5:53 PM

Hi camryman10, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Lets clean out the idle air control control valve and also the EGR and PCV valves then test the throttle position sensor and airflow meter then comeback with some testing results we start here.

The only thing the coolant tempearture sensor will do if it goes bad will prevent the engine from going into closed loop meaning it'll be running rich at all times
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 6:33 PM
CAMRYMAN10
PCV valve was replaced recently. I just tried to check EGR valve but couldn't get it off the car due to location of line bolt on bottom of unit and lack of proper tools. Going to Azone for help getting it off and to check tps.
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 9:15 AM
CAMRYMAN10
I decided that I'm not going to try to fix this myself; it's just to much hassle. To me this is a case of it being worth it to pay a mechanic to save me the headache.
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 7:54 PM
CAMRYMAN10
After talking to a local mechanic I decided to replace the water temp sensor anyway; for $15 it was worth a try. I haven't had a stall or CEL since. I have taken the the car on two extensive test drives, including stopping and switching the car off and on, which is when the problem usually occurs, and it's running fine. I'm crossing my fingers, but before sensor replacement it was stalling at least once or twice every hour of driving. Maybe it was the sensor after all.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 11:42 AM
I'm very glad that its running and hope it stays that way the strange thing is the CTS is causing the problem-its job is like the carburetor choke it gives fuel during initial cold starts when it switches out of open loop the oxygen sensor takes command of the A/F mix. TY for coming back letting us know the fix.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:15 PM
CAMRYMAN10
Do I get my 5 dollars back?
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:29 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
We have refunded your donation. We hope we can help you next time.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
CAMRYMAN10
Thanks for the refund; I will refer people to your site.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 6:37 PM