1995 Toyota Camry

MANDYLGCLARK
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
My car began not wanting to start, it would turn over but not start. It did this several times but would finally start after trying several times. Then it left me on the road. When we went to get it the next day it started right up. Then it died again. It would fire and try to start when we sprayed starting fluid and it tried to start. So we assumed it was a fuel problem, we changed the filter and it started and seemed ok then a short while later it died again, so we replaced the fuel pump. It was ok then for several hours, then it died again. Now it wont even try to start with the starting fluid, checked and it's not getting fire to the plug. Can someone please help?
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 6:06 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Start with a scan to check for any fault code, you don't always get a check light on with all codes, do this and report your findings for more assistance.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 7:20 PM
MANDYLGCLARK
I don't have the equipment to scan this, is there any way to check to see if it is the ecm is the problem?
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 7:39 PM
MHPAUTOS
Locate the data link terminal under the bonnet, with a jump wire connect TE1 & E1 turn on the ignition and count the flashes of the check light, long flash is 10's short is 1s so two long follower by 3 short is code 23. This is called flash codes.

Mark
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM
MANDYLGCLARK
Can you tell me exactly where the data link terminal is -I'm not sure where the bonnet is. And will this give me a code even if the check engine has never come on?
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 8:29 PM
STEVEW84
Bonnet=hood.I think the data link connector is near the strut mount.
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM
MANDYLGCLARK
It looks like I got code 21. Thank you so much for your help! Please let me know what this means if you can.
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 10:49 PM
MHPAUTOS
Code 21 is the O2 sensor circuit, this could be a number of things, from a vacuum leak, exhaust leak up stream of the sensor, faulty sensor, wiring problem for the sensor, are you able to check these items with confidence?

Mark
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
MANDYLGCLARK
It was actually # 12, I looked it up as well and it said the knock control sensor? Could this be it, would the knock sensor cause my car to act like this? Once again thank you for helping.
Thursday, August 20th, 2009 AT 12:34 AM
MHPAUTOS
Code 12 is Engine speed signal knock sensor is 52. The 12 code refers to electrical systems with in the distributor, from 97 on code 12 is cam & crank angle sensor, please make sure of the year as they are 2 very separate sections, both can cause your problem.

Mark.
Thursday, August 20th, 2009 AT 1:24 AM