1994 Toyota Camry Manifold replacement.

• 1 POST

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

Hi, I just spent $1,000 having various repairs done to my car but somehow, as soon as I got it out of the shop, the catalytic converter went and it had to go back into the shop (a different one) for a new (generic) catalytic converter. During this last process they told me I needed a new manifold (they showed me whichever one is on the bottom of the car, apparently it has two) and said the driving it would destroy the catalytic converter just installed. My question is, is $1,100 a reasonable price installation of a new manifold and should I just abandon the car at this point? Thanks, W Shore

Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM

Hi W. Shore,

Ok, I believe you are talking about the Exhaust Manifold. And the only reason I can think off for it needing to be fixed or replaced would be do to it being cracked. And $1,100 is way to much to replace it. The Exhaust Manifold shouldn't cost but about $120 and labor depending on the rare in your area shouldn't be more than a couple hundred.

Now, if it is the Intake Manifold then yes $1,100 is a fair price. But again the only reason to replace it would be because it is cracked.

So, I would contact the garage and make sure of which they are speaking of. Then I would call around and get a few other estimates.

Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 10:29 AM