1994 Camry: wont idle and wont rev over 2000rpm

• 2 POSTS

problem solved. Broken wire inside main engine harness and bad ECM.

hi guys

just wondering if you can help/give me any suggestions.

i currently work at a toyota dealer and this car has me and the rest of the tech's stumped.

the car: 1994 toyota camry 4cyl, auto trans. 130k KM (70k miles?)
the problem: will not idle, will not rev over 1800-2000rpm.

this vehicle was brought to us by a customer who had it at another shop trying to fix the same issue.

the customer claims it just started happening one day while driving it stalled out on him.

it starts right up perfectly fine and holds idle for about 3-5 seconds then dies. If you hold the throttle slightly open it will run and it sounds good. The rpm will not go over 1800-2000rpm. If you mash the throttle wide open is just bogs down it sounds like it's starving for fuel.

the previous shop replaced the cap/rotor/wires/plugs/fuel filter. All those items look ok.

i checked the fuel pressure 35-45psi which is within specs.

so I had another same year/model camry in the shop with me to swap some sensors around this is what I did:

i swapped out the distributor and also the igniter. Same problem.

i swapped the throttle body which includes the TPS and IAC. Same problem.

i swapped the MAP sensor and intake air temp sensor. Same problem

i swapped the coolant temp sensor. Same problem

we checked the timing belt. Everything lines up perfectly.

i disabled the fuel system and ran it on a separate fuel source. Same problem.

we were able to pull a code out of the ECM. Code 13 which is a NE signal circuit. Which makes no sense that there would be a distributor failure/problem if we just swapped out the distributor for a good known working one.

we swapped/checked just about everything minus the wiring to the ECM itself. That is my next step.

any input from you guys?

Thursday, July 5th, 2007 AT 7:42 PM

• 2 POSTS

Problem has been fixed.

Friday, July 6th, 2007 AT 7:13 PM