1993 Toyota Camry put a used trany in car but no reverse

DAVIDDLW1
  • 1993 TOYOTA CAMRY
I wanted to know about a transmission that I purchased at a junk yard, now I know that I am taking a chance when u buy a used part from a junk yard but the savings is so good. I put a used tranny in my 1993 camry and then when all finished the car will shift perfect to all gears except the reverse. The tranny I put in came out of a 1996 model not a 1993 will this make a difference to the car. I thought that 1992 through 1996 parts would interchange in the toyota camry as long as it was a automatic. Is this true? Or did I put a wrong year tranny in. On the 1993 tranny there was a wire that hooked up at the side opposite where the gear shifter is and on the 1996 tranny there was no hook up for this wire so it was left unconnected to anything. And also the piece where the gear shifter on the tranny is there is a wire that connects to it. I had to change out that piece because the hook up connector from the car was smaller than the connector on the gear shifter piece on the tranny. Does this piece make a difference to the function of the tranny? And can I switch out the connector on the tranny that fits over the gear shifter to solve my problem? Or is the tranny bad or non interchangable? Like I said the car shifts perfect when driving but no revers. When I put the car in reverse and push in on the gas pedal the engine will not rotate very fast it will turn slower that it is suppose to. The car was at one time go foward in reverse. Can you tell me my problem with this car and tranny. Oh yea the over drive light will flash on and off when I push the over drive button on, but does not when I push it off.
shifter?
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 4:43 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi daviddlw1,

Thank you for the donation.

94 and 96 uses identical transmission and the wiring circuits are similar.

You mentioned an additional wire that is not available with the replacement transmission and that means it is a different model.

Did you check if all other wiring connectors are similar.

Try disconnecting all wire harness connector from the trans and try driving with manuall shifting from each individual gear. If all gears including the reverse works, then it is a fault with the controls and not the transmission itself. If the trans does not move in R as well, then the trans is bad.
Saturday, July 10th, 2010 AT 12:53 PM
DAVIDDLW1
Thank u for the information. I have another question regarding how can you tell if a engine will interchange out of a car of diffedrent years but the cars are the same make and model. And how do you tell iif the cars are of different models or maybe makes. I was told once that you can look at the vin# on the cars and if the numbers match in the vin in a certain position then the motors will swap out, is this true or is there another way to tell? Also where are vin# found on cars except in the winshiel on dash corner, and on the driver door? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 8:04 AM
KHLOW2008
Vin # for identification is correct as it has the information as to the types of engine used. However you need to have information on boht the VIN of the original and donor car to be able to read.

The other identifiaction available would be the engine and transmission codes. This would be an easier approach considering the VIN might not be available.

VIN for different and makes would have the VIN at different areas though mostly they are would be at the dash areas.
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 8:21 AM