1993 Toyota Camry Blows hot air

• 3 POSTS

Air Conditioning problem
1993 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic alot miles

My little car is dying. My AC was working fine. Then about 2 weeks ago my engine started to put out a very small burning smell. I only noticed it after the engine was shut off, but everything worked fine. The AC was very cold. Then one morning I started my car and only hot air blows out now. I am thinking it is my AC compressor. Does any one else have any ideas as to the problem? If we think it is the compressor, how hard is it to replace it? Any special tools needed? I have always replaced my brakes, starters, alternators and so on in my other cars. Any advice?
Thanks, Ed L

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 9:09 PM

Based off of what you said, I would first look the AC lines over really good for any leaks. Sometimes you can see the oil from the system around part and components. That may have been what you smelled. Next, put AC gauges on the system to check the pressure. It may just be low. You could also stop by Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and have them pull the codes on the car for free to see if it has any dealing with the AC.

As for changing the compressor. The system will need to be flushed, new dryer etc. Check the system first, if you don't have gauges then have that checked and then let us know and we can take it from there. If the only problem is it is low, then servicing may be all you need unless you see a leak. When they surface it or if you do, there are "sniffers' that can be used to test for leaks if you don't see any.

As for special tools, you will need AC gauges and a device to draw a vacuum on the system once it is opened.

You can also view the "How does it Work" area on this site to better understand what you may be getting into. Also, Auto Zone has a DVD on servicing and changing AC components. If you do decide to do this, the we can look at sending you the info on what you specifically need.

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 9:49 PM