AC WORKS FOR 20 MINUTES.

1993 Toyota Camry

sidneythecat

June, 26, 2008 AT 11:05 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1993 Toyota Camry Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi
My wifes car - 1993 Toyota LE V6 - with about 80,000 miles on it, runs really well. It is serviced at a dealership every time service is due.

When we turn on the A/C it will put out cold air (as it normally did) for about 20 minutes. Then if we just leave the A/C running (with the windows down to cool ourselfs off) In about an hour it will start putting out normal cold air - for about 20 minutes.

The dealer gave it a freon charge and sent us on our way - didn't help.

I have experence working on my own cars - about 40 years. Could you tell me what I could check. I have the shop manuals. Dealership said it would cost $1700.00 (without looking at the car.)

Thank you for any help you can give.
Stan

June, 27, 2008 AT 10:08 AM

Hi Stan,

When the AC stops cooling, is the compressor working?

Are the radiator and condenser fans working?

You might need to check the thermistor.

sidneythecat

June, 27, 2008 AT 3:21 PM

I hadn't but I will. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks for the fast reply - I didn't expect it.

Stan

sidneythecat

July, 17, 2008 AT 5:34 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your advice.

The only thing I haven't been able to check is the thermistor. Can you tell me where the plug connector for it is located?

I wanted to disconnect it and measure the resistance, while the a/c is running. I can put a resistor across the connection on the engine side so the a/c will continue to run.

Thanks,

Stan

July, 17, 2008 AT 11:41 PM

Hi Stan,

The thermistor coupler is somewhere between the evaporator and radio panel, behind the glove box.

Are you able to control the temp setting and does it work with a higher setting, ie above 20 degrees?

sidneythecat

July, 31, 2008 AT 6:09 PM

" Are you able to control the temp setting and does it work with a higher setting, ie above 20 degrees?&Quot; Could you expand on this - I don't understand the '20 degrees part'? Do I need to measure temp?

sidneythecat

July, 31, 2008 AT 6:09 PM

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911