1992 Toyota Camry died

CJSMOM
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY
1992 toyota camry coming down hill using cruise control, needed to slow down more so used the coast lever. When it was used the engine put out some smoke and died, had it towed home and now will not start at all. It turns over but will not start. Any ideas?
Monday, November 6th, 2006 AT 11:50 AM

BACKYARDMECHANIC
Dear CJ,
You have to start at the basics. The two questions that one must ask. Is there spark and is there fuel. ( You said the engine cranks so its not the starting system) You can check for spark by remove one of the plug wires, inserting a screwdriver into the end of it and holding the metal part of the screw driver about 1/8 of and inch from a good ground. Make sure the handle of the screwdriver is insulated or you will be shocked. Won't kill you but it hurts like hell. Have and assistant crank the engine while you check for spark. If there is spark next check for fuel by listening for the fuel pump running. Turn the ignition switch ( do not start the car) and you should be able to hear the pump humming. If this checks out then the timing my be off.
Backyardmechanic :)
Thursday, November 9th, 2006 AT 8:09 AM
CJSMOM
Thank you for the reply. Being a single mother I have to watch the expenses but when I went to check the crank shaft sensor I looked at the top of timing belt and it was destroyed. On this model you have to take so much off and raise the engine to support the mounting brackets so you can undo them. So I had to have it towed to a shop. They had to even replace the pulleys as well because the belt had completely melted to the pulleys. It was a mess. Glad I did not try to attempt this one. I will stick to working on my 98 dakota and send toys to the shop. This engine is not fun to work on. Thanks for the response though.
Thursday, November 9th, 2006 AT 11:54 AM