1992 TOYOTA CAMRY 92 CAMRY OVERHEATING AFTER FREEWAY

• listerlnx
  • 1992 Toyota Camry

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 92 camry 4 cylinder 2.2 liter. Seems to be fine all day long in town but if I hit the freeway for awhile, as soon as I get off it starts overheating. Gets almost to the red before the fans kick on. Most of the time. I have a new water pump, new thermostat, head gaskets fine, head torques fine, and the correct radiator cap. And a new oil filter and new oil. Any insight?

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 6:53 AM

• mhpautos

Hi there, replace the cooling fan switch, its on the coolant inlet pipe on the front of the engine.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 7:01 AM
  • listerlnx

So somehow that causes it only to heat up after the freeway? I can drive in town for hours and never have a problem. Also would that cause it to push all the coolant into the resovour? Cause its completely full after I have been driving.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 2:04 PM
  • mhpautos

Freeway driving will normally push more air through the radiator and the fans won't normally come on, slower city driving creates less air flow so the temp rises, if the sensor is faulty, the fans will come on far to late or not at all, so over heating will be a problem.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 5:11 PM
  • listerlnx

That actually makes a lot of sense! Thank you. The book doesn't say anything about a switch. Would it be the coolant temperature sensor?

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
  • mhpautos

Hi there,

No that is part of the engine management system, refer to my first post, now I can't find a pic if the installation of the switch, but I will look for a pic of the switch so you can identify it as there are I thing 3 switches in a row on the coolant inlet pipe.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 7:08 PM
  • mhpautos

The thermo fan switch will look like this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_BA20116091_1.jpg

mark (mhpautos)

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 7:11 PM
  • mhpautos

Also, I think that with these systems, if the ignition is on and the thermo fan switch is unplugged the fan will run regardless of the coolant temp.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 7:14 PM
  • listerlnx

I think that one goes right into the radiator itself

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 10:11 PM
  • mhpautos

Some did and some did not, Mitchell 1 says that its in the housing, but if you have one in the radiator that will be it.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 11:06 PM
  • listerlnx

Well its not a stock radiator, its a brass one. So I think so. Thanks for all your help.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 11:21 PM