Air Bag Lamp

STREET RAT
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY

Electrical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

Air bag warning light in dash stays lit. How can I clear this out? The air bag has never been activated. The car has never had a collision.

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 9:30 AM

KHLOW2008

Hi Street Rat,

When the airbag indicator lights stays on after more then 6 seconds when the ignition switch is turned, a malfunction code has been detected by the center air bag sensor assy.

(IMAGES BELOW)

You would need to retrieve the trouble code to find out what is causing the problem.

AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM -1992 Toyota Camry LE

Diagnostic Code Check
1. Jump together terminals Tc and E1 of Total Diagnostic Communication Link (TDCL) connector TDCL is located under left side of instrument panel near fuse block.

2. Read diagnostic codes by noting number of AIR BAG warning light flashes. Normal code indication will flash light twice per second. If a malfunction code is present, first number of code number will equal first digit of a 2-digit diagnostic code. After a 1.5-second pause, second number of code number will equal second digit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SRSDTC92Camryfig15_1.jpg

3. If 2 or more codes are present, a 2.5-second pause will occur between codes. After all codes are displayed, a 4-second pause will occur and codes will be repeated. After code has been identified, see appropriate diagnostic code and perform tests as specified.

4. If more than one malfunction code is present, codes will flash from smallest numbered code to highest. If malfunction code is not displayed or is continuously displayed, see TROUBLE SHOOTING. If AIR BAG warning light remains illuminated and diagnostic code is normal code, a source voltage drop is present. This malfunction is not stored in memory. If power source voltage returns to normal after approximately 10 seconds, AIR BAG warning light will automatically go out. See DIAGNOSTIC CODE NORMAL, SOURCE VOLTAGE DROP under TROUBLE SHOOTING.

5. Code 22 is recorded when a malfunction is present in air bag warning light system. If an open circuit is present in air bag warning light circuit, AIR BAG warning light will not glow. Diagnostic codes (including Code 22) cannot be confirmed until warning light circuit is repaired.

6. When a malfunction is present in SRS, malfunction Codes 11 through 31 are displayed. After repair of malfunction, Codes 11 through 31 can be cleared from memory but Code 41 will remain. A special procedure is required to clear a Code 41.

NOTE: On all models when clearing all other codes except Code 41, use Clearing Malfunction Codes (Except Code 41) procedure. On all modes with Code 41 only, use Clearing Malfunction Code 41 procedure.

Clearing Malfunction Codes (Except Code 41)

Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove negative battery cable or ECU "B" fuse for at least 10 seconds to clear codes. When reconnecting battery, ensure ignition switch is in LOCK position. If battery is connected with ignition switch in ACC or ON position, diagnostic system may not operate correctly.

Clearing Malfunction Code 41

1. Connect wire probes to check connector/TDCL terminals Tc and AB. See Fig. 13. Turn ignition switch to ACC or ON position and wait approximately 6 seconds. Starting with Tc terminal, apply body ground alternately to terminal Tc and terminal AB twice each, in cycles of .5-1.5 seconds.

2. When alternating probes between body ground, simultaneously release one probe from body ground while applying ground to other terminal. If time interval is too long, Code 41 will not clear. After several seconds, when AIR BAG warning light starts to blink a regular cycle, Code 41 cancellation is complete.

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 11:41 AM
STREET RAT

Found it was a bad Air Bag ECM in console that fixed the problem, Thanks for guys this site rocks :)

Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 8:12 AM
KHLOW2008

Glad to know the problem has been fixed.

Have a nice day.

Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 12:20 PM
VLADSC50

Hi KHLOW2008,

I have the same issue and I'm having a hard time understanding wire probes to reset my error. Some also say 'grounding' or 'ground wire which I don't know what type of wire is that. I tried with paperclips and small jumper clips that are negative and positive but no luck. I already understanding the procedure but I think I'm missing the right equipment to do so. Can you provide my links so I have an idea what I need to buy to take this error code off my dashboard?

Monday, August 21st, 2017 AT 8:36 AM
KHLOW2008

Forget about what others say so that you have a clear mind to do this. When you ground a wire, it means connecting the end of the wire to a grounding point, it could be anywhere on bare metal of the vehicle that is connected to the battery negative terminal.

To perform the DTC erasing procedure, get 2 wires and individually plug into each of the terminals described in procedure below. You can use paper clips attached to the wires so that the clips will hold the wires in position in the prescribed terminals

Locate a suitable grounding point and holding one wire in each hand, alternately ground according to the method and timing below.

Check this out.

Clearing Malfunction Code 41

1. Connect wire probes to check connector/TDCL terminals Tc and AB. See Fig. 13. Turn ignition switch to ACC or ON position and wait approximately 6 seconds. Starting with Tc terminal, apply body ground alternately to terminal Tc and terminal AB twice each, in cycles of.5-1.5 seconds.

Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 AT 6:58 AM
VLADSC50

Hi KHLOW2008,

Thank you so much for the response. I knew I was doing something wrong. Because what I was doing was using alligator clips connected on the end of the paperclips while doing the procedure. I had a feeling I should of done it with just the wires instead.

Several more questions if you don't mind. Which grounding wire do I use to attach with the paperclips? I looked online and found out it's copperwire. Is that true or there is other ground wire I can get? Do I also get electrical tape to attach the end of the grounding wire with the paperclips? That way I can reach bare metal for my ground?

Thank you so much.

Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 AT 7:52 AM
KHLOW2008

You can use any wire. The wire set with clips you have now would be good enough. Clamp one end to a paper clip for plugging into the terminal and touch the other end to a grounding point.

Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 1:02 AM
VLADSC50

Do you mean the alligator clips that are negative and positive? All right then I'll try that tomorrow. Now when you say touch the other end to a grounding point do I just simply touch the ground not clamp it? I figured it would be a much faster process if I just touch the ground rather than clamp it since I need to alternate quickly between the two terminals.

Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 1:11 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Good call, sounds like it will work as well.

Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 12:17 PM
VLADSC50

Update. I have successfully cleared the AIRBAG code! I did what you told me and it helped a lot. It took at least many tries to get the speed down which was a quick alternating between the terminals. Many said 0.2 seconds but I didn't think too much about it and just went quickly.

Here is my summary of what I did. I use the ground wire that was thin twisted copper that my father let me borrowed and used the alligator clips to clamp at the end of each wire and placed it in the DLC 1. I then used my ground near the DLC 1 that had three bolts around it and clean it off two bolts but only used one. Now the alternating between grounding the Tc and AB it was done through trial and error. I tried using the ground wire (thin twisted copper) itself, quickly clamping the ground with the alligator clips, different locations of ground, different speeds of alternating with the ground. None have worked, until I relaxed a bit and tried to do it as simple as possible. Which was touching the ground with the alligator clips without clamping since I figured it was mess up my quick timing. Then my father saw the code flash quickly. Once I took off the alligator clip from the ground, which was the Tc, the error code cleared up. I turned on my car twice to see if it stayed on but it didn't.

Thank you so much for your help and I gave my summary if anybody who had the same problem as me so they have an idea what they can do to clear the AIRBAG code. I will add photos in a bit so they have a clear visual what they need and will do.

Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 2:07 PM
VLADSC50

Also before I post the pictures. KHLOW2008, I see you posted pictures of the 1992 Toyota Camry LE of Fig.13 and Fig.15 of the AIRBAG procedure to clear the code. I would like to know where can I get the actual book to have as a reference for future issues. Is there website you downloaded the book and what is the book called?

Thank you.

Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 3:59 PM
KHLOW2008

Glad to know you have resolved the problem. Information we have are from Mitchel, an online provider. You can copy the information and save to file. Likewise just save this link and you can always come back.

Friday, August 25th, 2017 AT 1:09 AM
VLADSC50

Thank you KHLOW2008 just to make sure is this the link to the online provider where you get your information?

http://www.eautorepair.net/marketing/default.asp?VID=&Count=Y

It says Mitchell DIY. I just want to make sure. Again thank you very much.

As for the photos here they are.

The first three photos is my set up. I got a pair of test leads from AutoZone and the ground wire, which is the thin twisted copper, clamp on one end of the ground wire in the nose of the alligator clips

Now the fourth picture is the screws I used for my ground near the DLC 1 box. You'll notice the bottom two are clean which is important to do so to have better ground current. But I only used one to keep it simple. In this case I used the bottom left.

Finally the last picture is how I managed to clear the airbag code after a few trial and error methods. You simply just touch the screw with the alligator clip. I recommend to have a faster timing alternation is to prepare closely to the screw with your alligator clips NOT TOUCHING IT but being near it. This way after the six seconds mark, you have a faster timing alternation between the terminals to the ground since you'll use both of them to clear the code.

I hope this helps for anybody who has the same issue and I apologize for the quality of the pictures.

Friday, August 25th, 2017 AT 12:53 PM
2CARPROS KEN

This is great! Nice work please add to the site anytime you are on.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, August 28th, 2017 AT 3:23 PM