1991 Toyota Camry won't start sometimes

TOYOTONY
  • 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY
When I drive for any lenght of time with the wipers, lights, aircon etc, all on or if I just get up it a bit & turn it off, it won't start sometimes.
It turns over although with less charge than normal & goes flat very quickly. If I wait a while it actually seems to pick up charge and sometimes this is enough to get it going , but if it won, t go I wait till it 's cooled down & it goes as if there was no problem, if I haven't flattened the Battery
tryng to start it meanwhile.
Iv'e had it to the auto electricians twice($400 ) The first time they did a strarter repair and sold me a new battery and it fixed it for a while 5mths.
The second time found a voltage drop to starter (on starting) and installed a booster relay kit. This fix lasted abuot the same time. Ron.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 11:18 PM

JACK42
I have never heard of a"booster relay kit" before. It sounds like the alt may be weak and cant keep up with high demand (accessories)This will cause low battery charge when accessories are being used adn will cause slow cranking like you describe. Have all battery cables been replaced as well?
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 12:43 PM
TOYOTONY
Hi Jack, First off sorry about the email I thought the reply was coming to my email adress.
Do you recommend getting a new alternator or a rebuild or a larger capacity one? And getting new battery cables & or heavy duty cables, are there any other parts involved that could help if I replaced them?
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 3:29 AM
JACK42
Before you throw a bunch of mone at it, take it to a shop and have the charging system checked. They should be able to load the system down with the tester to simulate the accesories drawing on it, this will show if the alt is/can keep up with demand.A high quality replacement (Bosch or Nippon) will be able to perform, you shouldnt need some HD set up, unless you are running alot of stereo (amps). When it comes to cables, I always like to go a littel bigger, say 2 gauge instead of 4. Be sure that it is clean where the ground attaches to the engine.
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 7:37 AM