1991 Toyota Camry Help!

ICLATTELOVER
  • 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY
My 1991 Toyota Camry has an issue with starting and when it is started, sometimes driving down the highway or even in town, it'll die out. I've been adding fuel injector cleaner as I believe that it's a fuel issue but the mechanics at the Toyota dealership will not believe me. I've had this car now for 14 years and know it quite well. The dealership put it on the diagnostic machine and stated that the engine ran perfectly. Of course it didn't "perform" for them as it does to me. I asked them to keep it a week and drive it around. An employee drove it around and it did it to him 5 times on the same day. They took it back onto the machines and said that they couldn't find a problem as the machine still checks out good. Well, I've been adding fuel injector cleaner every other fuel up and it runs fine since I've started doing this but I know that using fuel injector cleaner is not good for the rings and such. The mechanic refuses to change out the fuel injector stating that according to his readouts, it's not the problem. Can you guide me to resolve this issue before I have to have a ring job done and heaven knows what else? Thanks!
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM

Have they checked the fuel pressure? If okay could be ignition related problem or computer problem

An employee drove it around and it did it to him 5 times on the same day. This is the time they should have caught the problem and determine if its fuel or spark problem.
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 11:15 PM
RAUL RIZZUTI
Go ahead and replace al wires with a new set.
Your problem is probably electric
Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 6:29 AM