ENGINE DIED

1990 Toyota Camry

hammerjj

June, 17, 2009 AT 8:00 AM

1990 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 232500 miles

Was traveling about 45 mph, up a 20 % grade and engine died and only sputterd briefly after waiting for the engine to cool down and on a level terrain re-start.

Towed back home and engine restarted and ran smoothly for few minutes until I shut down.

12 hrs latertried to restart- engine would turn over but no signs of combustion.

Background Info: @ 230,000 engine frequently stalled at intersections and electronically contolled overdrive was sporadic - replaced IAC, cleaned EGR, replaced TPS w/multimeter and replaced a speed control sensor on the tranny.

Finally in April 09 the car has performed like it was brand new!

Now in June it died driving up this hill.

Thoughts - fuel system or electrical?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 17, 2009 AT 8:35 AM

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

hammerjj

August, 5, 2009 AT 2:38 PM

Thanks Rasmataz for your kind assistance!

Indeed I had no spark and traced voltage and it stopped at distributor output.

Replaced the distributor and the car started right up worked like a champ and was treated to a very nice spunky 1 hr test run.

Tried to use the car the very next morning and again it would not start except for a sputter here and there.

Tried an OBD 1 and could not retrive any codes!

PS For a good measure I replaced the igniter, fuel pump and filter.

Perlexed

August, 5, 2009 AT 2:49 PM

Tried an OBD 1 and could not retrive any codes! Jumper the Te-1 to E-1 terminal in the check connector read the flashes.

Are you still getting spark if not -read the following

The computer uses the Ne and G signals from the distributor-the comp has to get the Igt signal in order for it to tell the ignitor to fire the coil at which time an Igf signal goes back to the computer indicating combustion has occured and repeat this process. Inspect the wirng/connectors all the way to computer if okay could be coming from the computer itself.

hammerjj

August, 6, 2009 AT 8:41 AM

Again thanks for the diagnostic tips!

Hammerjj

hammerjj

August, 7, 2009 AT 7:35 AM

Rasmatz

Again thanks

If I end up getting a used ECM is there a need to re-program the computer? If so at a dealer?

Or disconnect power, install, reconnect and then energize the system for starting?

August, 7, 2009 AT 3:30 PM

Just remove the EFI fuse for 10secs

hammerjj

August, 10, 2009 AT 7:43 AM

Now a really dumb question, I can't locate the ECM. Haynes manual says behind the glove box or near center console.

Behind glove box I see only I think 4-way flasher and duct work for air delivery.

In the center console region, more duct work for heating and air delivery.

Is this thing staring me in the face? Size wise I'm looking for something the size of a desk top computer hard drive, correct?

hammerjj

August, 10, 2009 AT 7:43 AM

August, 10, 2009 AT 1:38 PM

The computer/ ECU is located under the center of instrument panel behind console

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ecu_5.jpg

hammerjj

August, 12, 2009 AT 8:39 AM

Rasmatz

Thankd for all your help. Wish I could afford a new vehicle but. Pulled up the carpet around the console and found the ECM on a small platform bolted to the tunnel. Replaced same with a used ECM and now no start. Going to pull a plug this evening to verify that I have a spark.

Perhaps the ECM is shot but less crank and camshaft position sensors most everything is new less wiring harness.

Am I overlooking something simple?

JJ