1987 Toyota Camry

MACORONAS
  • 1987 TOYOTA CAMRY
1987 Toyota Camry

The automatic transmission doesn't shift to forward unless engine is revved at very high RPM after replacing
bad transmission solenoid. The solenoid installed came out of wrecked car, I tested it and it seemed to work fine. Now, if I drive the car back and forth a few times after a while a small amount of white smoke comes out of the transmission fluid insertion tube and I have to rev the car to high RPM.
Sunday, August 29th, 2010 AT 7:04 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I would be re scanning for further faults and also doing a line pressure test, I am a bit worried about the white smoke, something may be cooking in the electrics in the transmission.

Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:09 AM
MACORONAS
Hi and thanks for your response, I don't mind donating more if I get this fixed.
I scanned the transmission and computer and did not get any codes, I received a no malfunction in the system. In fact, the code that I started with before I installed the used solenoid is not there anymore. Do you need special equipment to do a line pressure test?
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 11:39 AM
MACORONAS
I need to find transmission solenoid #3 and would like to know if anyone can tell me where it is located.
Thank you.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 8:22 PM
MHPAUTOS
There is a special adapter and pressure gauge needed, I would get a trans tech to do this test as they will have a better underestanding of the reading and be able to interpret any faults more accurately, I will look into the N0 3 solenoid for you.

Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 11:47 PM
MACORONAS
Sorry, if I sound a little frustrated. Thanks for the reply.
I checked solenoids 1 and 2 and their wires and they are working fine, called Toyota and they told me that there is a #3 solenoid. Number #3 solenoid, I believe also called lock up solenoid, checked malfunctioning before I started
taking things apart, so my theory is that is possible that #3 is not working.
Thanks again
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 12:17 AM
MHPAUTOS
This is the best pic i can find of the solenoid.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Capture_80.jpg

+1
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 12:46 AM