OVERDRIVE-TEMPERATURE LEVEL

1995 Toyota 4Runner

humsoncal

August, 16, 2010 AT 11:26 PM

1995 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

I have an interesting problem that I have just been noticing lately with my 95 4runner. I will be driving down the road, everything working normally, and all of a sudden I will notice that my temperature gauge will begin to show that my engine temperature is going down. When this first occurred, I didn't think much of it because I assumed that the gauge was simply malfunctioning, because I knew that the engine would not be running significantly cooler while I was driving down the freeway at nearly 3000 rpm. Then I began to notice that whenever the temperature gauge would start to get screwy and go down, the vehicle would refuse to shift into overdrive or, alternately, would refuse to shift into the final, highest gear. This means that in order to go 60 mph, I would be pushing 4000 rpm (not good).
This does not happen all of the time. It seems to come and go. This is frustrating because when I took it to my local mechanic so that he could check it out, it was driving normally (of course). I think that he thought I was a little crazy. The temperature gauge and the transmission would seem to me to be unrelated systems and problems. Would do you think could be causing this issue and how can I go about fixing it?

August, 17, 2010 AT 12:47 PM

Test or Replace the coolant temperature sensor-Toyota uses the CTS input signal to command/control overdrive operation

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars