1995 Toyota 4Runner Headlight and speedometer issue

PORTHOS1
  • 1995 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
When I roll the switch to headlight I get the parking lights but no low beams. But if I pull away from me the high beam work great. I checked the bulb and it looked fine. Any ideas. Also my speedometer doesnt work. I had inquired to the dealer about a speed control device on the transmission but after giving my vin he said that mine isnt applicable. Which I assume means I have a cable instead of newer technology.
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 4:30 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi porthos1,

Thank you for the donation.

Yes, it means your vehicle ia equipped with a cable for running the speedometer. The cable is attached to the transmission on the right side near end of transmission. Disconnect the cable and turn the inner cable while getting an assistant to check if the speedometer works. If no, pull the inner cable out to check if it is broken.

The meter cable has to be replaced as an assy.

As to the lighting issue, I believe you have faulty light switch.
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 1:16 PM
PORTHOS1
About the headlight issue. It seems to be that when I turn the switch to headlight, the dash lights come on and when the door is ajar it beeps. Even when u put the lever forward the high beams comes on. How is it the switch?
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 5:08 AM
KHLOW2008
The headlight switch is a 2 position switch. One is for the combination lights while another is for the headlight circuits. Wuold you be able perform test with a test lamp?

The door ajar light indicating could mean either the door switch circuit is shorted or the switch is not being closed properly, could be an out of adjustment door.
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 5:30 AM
PORTHOS1
By the way. Speedometer cable was just loose behind the actuall speedometer. Works fine. Ok back to the healight. I checked with a meter that when the headlight is fully on I have 12volts at the relay. I even replaced the relay thinking that this could be the issue, but I read the schematic on the side and it works fine. So where to next? To me it seems to producing the power to at least that spot but not turning on the lights.
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 5:54 PM
KHLOW2008
Is your vehicle equipped with Daytime Running Lights? Wiring schematics are different for with and without.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 12:18 PM
PORTHOS1
My 4runner doesn't have daytime running lights
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 1:40 PM
KHLOW2008
Test the left and right head light fuse for battery voltage. Voltage should be present with headlight switch turned ON.

If voltage is not present, at headlight relay, ground the Red/Blue wire, headlight should turn on, if noty, the realy is faulty.

If headlight turns on, at headlight switch, ground the Red/Blue wire, if headlight turns on, the headlight switch is faulty.

If headlight does not turn ON, the wire between the headlight relay to switch is open(broken).
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 AT 7:29 AM