1991 Toyota 4Runner No spark from coil

HERESMIKEY
  • 1991 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
I changed the oil and spark plugs and when I was done, it wouldn't start. I had no problems before I did this. I checked with everything I did and I have no spark coming from the coil. I have replaced the coil and the igniter unit and still have the same problem. I have checked the fuses in the engine compartment and they all look good. I have checked to see if I had knocked a wire loose when I R&R the plugs but see nothing unusual. The motor cranks but no spark from the coil. I checked the distributer cap and rotor and it looks fine but the problem lies before it gets here. I'm at odds now. If the oil pump went bad, will it cause the coil not to spark? Fuel pump? I remember back in the old days that when the capacitor in the distributor went bad, this very thing happens. I can't find a capacitor like that in this motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Saturday, August 30th, 2008 AT 12:19 AM

There's nothing that you did that can prevent it from starting-test the coil wire or substitute it and see what happens and double check the distributor harness.

Do you have power to the coil positive terminal?
+2
Saturday, August 30th, 2008 AT 4:54 AM
HERESMIKEY
I get no readings at the positive terminal to the coil. Do I need a new distributer?
+1
Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 4:11 AM
Check the ignition fuse if okay- do this get a wire that will reach from the battery positive terminal to the coil positive terminal now try to start it-

If it starts up change out the ignition switch
+1
Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 12:28 PM
HERESMIKEY
Sorry, I do have power to the positive side of the coil. I had a dropped volt meter which went bad. Do you think it's the ECM? And do I have to replace the whole module?
-1
Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 7:12 AM