Timing belt replacement created "growling" and engine alignment off

UASUNBUNNY
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Fully stock components
Repair:
Timing belt replacement (first timer).
noticed no free movement of idler pulley? (Slick pulley located up and right of crankshaft)
Figured maybe with belt tension it couldn't be moved by hand.

Completed job
Upon start:
Loud growling from under timing belt covers.
Upon inspection and removal of covers that the engine alignment is now off.
Question: how do I correct the alignment of the engine? Any idea on cause of sound?
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 7:56 PM

SATURNTECH9
So the timing belt idler pulley was not turning with the belt tension on it? I would say that would be normal. Are you sure the cover was not rubbing? Also what exactly did you replace?
+1
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 8:25 PM
UASUNBUNNY
Thank you for the quick reply. My first thought was that the idler pulley has seized and there was too much tension on the belt making the sound. My next thought was that the timing belt is not pushed back quite enough and it is rubbing on the cover. Should I check anything else visually?

Any thoughts on the motor misalignment? I did loosen the passenger side motor mount and tried moving the motor with come along straps but I had no luck.

Is there a way to donate money for your assistance?

Thanks again.
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 8:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
That should have a automatic hydraulic tensor correct? Also when I replace the belt I only remove the top engine mount and never have any engine mount alignment issues. You never said the exact parts you replaced? I will find out how you can donate they were supposed to add a donation link on the questions.
+1
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 10:19 PM
UASUNBUNNY
Parts replaced: water pump, idler pulley, guide pulley (?), Auto tensioner. Yes only the top mount but I am nervous about this misalignment around the alternator in this picture:
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 10:41 PM
SATURNTECH9
I cannot see the whole picture it is not coming up. You did not remove the old alternator did you? I never remove the alternator.
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 10:44 PM
UASUNBUNNY
Sorry. And no I did not touch it.
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 10:45 PM
UASUNBUNNY
And this one.
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 10:46 PM
SATURNTECH9
It is hard to tell from the pictures. Did you put floor jack under the engine to support the engine?
+1
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 11:14 PM
UASUNBUNNY
Yes with a piece of wood in between. I am afraid maybe I did not support it enough/correctly. I am used to my BMW's weak aluminum pan so I was a little hesitant. Can I fix that issue?
Thursday, September 15th, 2016 AT 11:23 PM
SATURNTECH9
Without seeing more it really makes no sense to me that it wont line up from just removing that upper mount. I have done it that way on the Honda's v6 and 4 cylinder and never had a issue. What exactly is not lining up?
Friday, September 16th, 2016 AT 12:52 PM