Thermostat slow to open

DAVIDULT20
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I just got new water pump, fan clutch, radiator, and thermostat. When I first start it up and drive it, it heats up to 260 after like fifteen minutes, after it reaches the 260 is when the thermostat opens and cools down to about 210 and stays around there was wondering what it could be works fine after the thermostat opens. What could cause the thermostat to open so late?
Sunday, June 9th, 2019 AT 8:56 PM

SCWICKEDSTANG

That is a tough one. Adding coolant to your water in the cooling system raises the boiling point of the water to around 250 degrees, so maybe too much coolant. It does sound like the wrong thermostat might have been installed. In the diagrams down below I have included the Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) thermostat part number, the correct thermostat opening temperature, and a thermostat diagnostic troubleshooting flowchart for you to go through. Please get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Sunday, June 9th, 2019 AT 9:32 PM