Tachometer and Speedometer not working

KENNETH JAMES SR
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
On my dash the speedometer and tachometer do not work. I am unable to get any of the gauges to move while driving. Can you help?
Thursday, July 6th, 2017 AT 8:46 PM

It can be a couple of things, if dash was removed then it may have lost programming for your van so it will not work or the dash is bad and needs rebuilding. Have a mechanic check. Also, check fuses in car. If rebuilt a mechanic will have to reprogram it to your vehicle.
Friday, July 7th, 2017 AT 7:16 AM
KENNETH JAMES SR
Thank you.
Friday, July 7th, 2017 AT 8:18 AM
KEN
Try unplugging the cluster and plugging it back in again this should correct any bad connections at the cluster.

Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Sunday, July 9th, 2017 AT 1:12 PM
KENNETH JAMES SR
Tried everything you said and took the unit out to examine the soldering on the back of the board. Saw a couple of joints that needed repairing but that didn't fix the problem. The only other thing I can do is order a new one or go to the junk yard and pull one.
Thursday, July 13th, 2017 AT 5:41 PM
It will meed to be programmed yo your cat by a mechanic no matter ifnew rebuilt or a junkyard
Thursday, July 13th, 2017 AT 6:05 PM
KENNETH JAMES SR
Sorry it took so long but I took the board out once more and gave it a good look around. The soldering look good but when I look at the components I found several components that look burnt. The resistors from R11, R34, R38, R36, R40 and JP9 are burnt on both ends. Now I can make out the values of the resistors but the JP9 I have no ideal the value it has just one black band around the center. I'm researching that now, if you have an ideal what I'm talking about please reply if that would solve the problem and the value of that jumper. Thank You
+1
Monday, July 17th, 2017 AT 4:09 PM
They can rebuild the dash for around $150-175 then it will need reprogramming by a mechanic
+2
Tuesday, July 18th, 2017 AT 5:40 AM