Vitara approx 2001 transmission whine

CHEERYBLE
  • 2001 SUZUKI
Hi from Thailand
My Vitara has developed a whine in the gearbox/clutch over several weeks, started slight now noisier.
Here are the clues:
It is sporadic. When I depress the clutch and engage gear and throttle up slightly it starts. And I can change gears whilst not moving and it remains tha same noise. It is actaully a sort of slightly scrapey sound slightly variable sound rather than a high pitched whine. Everything still works perfectly.
There is oil around the gearbox underneath but I had the level checked and it's OK.
The speedo cable has been disconnected quite some time ago at the box causing a "check engine" light but I have no reason to believe it's a problem it has run well like that for a long time and frankly as I love the car and will not sell it and the law is loose here I can't be bothered giving up the car half a day to fix it.

I'd be grateful for help the mechanics here are quite good but I look to above. Ie the West!
Thursday, November 22nd, 2007 AT 8:02 PM

DAVE H
Replace the clutch
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 2:21 AM