Suspension and two to four wheel drive

I have been told that my SUV listed above XLT has two wheel drive but has a four wheel drive suspension! I am needing to know what exactly that means?

Saturday, April 8th, 2017 AT 5:49 PM

You need to find that out from the person making the claim. He could be referring to the weight the vehicle is capable of hauling, or the type of springs it has. This is similar to saying, "he has the heart of a long-distance runner". Does that mean the determination and desire, the stamina, or empathy for others?

When there is a significant difference in suspension systems, you will be asked if you have two or four-wheel-drive when buying some replacement parts. I use the Rock Auto web site every day for reference. If you look up the front upper control arms, they appear to have different dimensions. The lower control arms tell the rest of the story. The two-wheel-drive version has a round pocket for a coil spring. The four-wheel-drive has a socket for a torsion bar spring. That is most likely what the mechanic was referring to. Ford is famous for making major mid-model-year changes, and you could have a vehicle that has some parts from late last year or early next year. That is why you often need to know the vehicle's date of production when buying parts.

If you look just inside the front wheel and see a coil spring, you have the two-wheel-drive suspension system. If you do not see that, then the torsion bar runs from the pivot of the rear of the lower control arm, rearward about three to five feet to its anchor. Have someone point out which type of spring you have if you are not familiar with those parts.

Saturday, April 8th, 2017 AT 6:43 PM