FUEL PUMP RELAY/FUSE

1997 Subaru Outback

cdubya2003

April, 25, 2009 AT 8:10 PM

1997 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

I replaced the fuel pump last month and it has stopped working. Using a multimeter, I checked the harness at the fuel pump to see if it was getting power, which it was not. I then checked all fuses in the vehicle (checked continuity with a meter and then Visually inspected each fuse in case both sides of the fuse were grounded) but all fuses checked out okay. I have three questions:

1) Is there a fuel pump fuse? If so, where is it located? (I don't have an owner's manual)

2) where is the fuel pump relay located

3) should the wires at the fuel pump have continuity with each other? (The 12 volt and ground input wires at the pump)

The reason I ask the third question is because I believe these wires are not supposed to be 'touching'. Since the two wires are touching, this would probably indicate that the pump went bad and in turn caused the two wires to touch, which would ultimately blow a fuse or possibly damage the fuel pump relay.

What do you think?

Thanks!

April, 25, 2009 AT 8:38 PM

3) should the wires at the fuel pump have continuity with each other? (the 12 volt and ground input wires at the pump) You're measuring across the fuel pump motor windings you should get a continuity

Check fuse no. 16 and see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pum_fuse_and_relay_location_2.jpg

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right