2002 Subaru Impreza Subaru Outback Sport Head Gasket/Timing

GRACEHELEN
  • 2002 SUBARU IMPREZA
  • AWD
I recenlty bought a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport w/75,000 miles. I'm getting the common head gasket problem replaced by a Subaru Dealership and was told by a friend it would be a good idea to get the timing belt replaced too. My question is, should I be expected to pay labor fees for getting the timing belt replaced when I'm paying $1300- $1500 for replacing the head gasket? I was told the old belt would need to be taken off to access the head gasket anyway and the same type of labor is involved (?). I also thought I could provide my own belt as well if I can find a good deal online. I would appreciate any help with this dilemma since I don't have much money and I don't want them to think I'm a ditzy girl with uninformed expectations. Thank you.
Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 9:50 AM

SUBARUANDMERCEDES
Most places shouldnt chage you any extra. As with you supplying your own timing belt, they wouldnt be able to warranty the belt incase of a failure. And if it fails then you will have bent vavles. I know its probably more but in the endm it would be best to buy a belt from them
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 10:13 PM