BURNING SMELL (POSSIBLE OIL LEAK) AND

2005 Subaru Forester

PJ Schmidt

November, 24, 2009 AT 6:03 PM

2005 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 104000 miles

Hi, I have a 2005 Subaru Forester XT (Turbo) with a standard transmission and 104,000 miles. The Turbo comes with an air scoop on the hood of the engine. About 6-7 weeks ago while waiting in traffic for a light to change, I smelled burning and thought it was from the exhaust of the car in front of me, then saw smoke coming out the air scoop on the hood. Several attempts by a Subaru dealership to figure out what is causing the smoke have not fixed it, although they talked me into spending $1,000 to replace the timing belt while the engine was opened up to find and repair the supposed leak. But they never repaired the problem. It only smokes at certain, now predictable times, while waiting in traffic, after about a half hour of city traffic.I live in the mountains and the car does fine until I get to the city and have to wait at lights, etc. It seems to come from the area of the turbo itself. As if oil is leaking and dripping onto the super-hot turbo. Is this common? Is there something I should be looking for or directing a mechanic to do? It make me quite nervous to drive it, knowing that it is getting so hot that it smokes. Seems possible it could catch on fire. Thanks for your time and input.

Oil Leak From Engine

straightaxle

April, 12, 2011 AT 1:00 AM

First of it good you did the timing belts and you got a pretty good deal.
When it is steaming/smoking does it smell sweet? Did the dealership pressurize the system?
Let me know and I may have a good idea of what is happening.
I have an 04 wrx turbo

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front