2000 Subaru Forester Advice

TWOSONTESS
  • 2000 SUBARU FORESTER
  • AWD
My engine overheats when I run the A/C for about 20 min.
There are no smells, visible leaks, smoke or any other things I can see.

Goes back to normal when I turn off A/C

What's up with that
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 4:43 PM

LIONHEARTKNIGHT
Have u checked if the fans are working properly, both fans should start working a few mins after normal temp is reached; check fan relays too. Also, have u ever changed thermostat? At that millage u should have at least twice. If not, it might not be working properly. Have u ever flushed the radiator, if not it could be clogged. Oil level and viscosity also play an important part. If u live on the desert or in moderately high temp area oil viscosity is very important to avoid "thinning" which can cause excessive wear and over heating. There are other things that can cause overheating, like bad engine timing, worn or stretched timing belt, and piston-to-cylinder clearance. In some cases the problem might also be as simple as checking the temperature sensor, if bad it might not be sending the signal to make the fans work. This last check is optional, but extremely important; check for low engine compression on the cylinders and check if the coolant level has dropped, but with no visible leaks (except in some severe cases where coolant is puked out the tank; the most noticeable), as these are signs of a blown out Head Gasket. This issue is also noticeable by checking the oil for whitish fluid; these happens when oil and water/coolant mix at engine running temperature, which by the way can cause severe wear or damage to all engine components. Foresters from the series 1997 -2002 tend to have this problem at high millage, but its still an great car, I just finished overhauling mine (full engine repair $800 doing it myself, had to change pistons, cut cam heads, and bore cylinders). Hopefully all of this will be helpful to you :D
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
TWOSONTESS
Thanks for the info.
This will help me when I go to a mechanic, as I always feel that if I know a little bit about what might be wrong, then perhaps I might not get the runaround. When you are a woman you can see the snide looks, when you are a woman with white hair sometimes the guys actually look like they are laughing out loud.

I do love my little car. Runs like a champ on all these back dirt roads.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 11:53 PM
LIONHEARTKNIGHT
Let me know if u need some shop manual help ;)
Saturday, September 18th, 2010 AT 8:14 AM