Starting issue

ROBINSON ROBINSON
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I went to start my car after driving it about twenty miles. It would not start just a single click. All the lights and accessories came on. I cleaned the terminals that didn't help. I jumped it still would not start. I had it towed on a flatbed to my house. I went out about two hours later it started right up! I went out again another three hours later it started. What could be the issue?
Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 AT 10:50 PM

HEYMAN1104
Hello and welcome to 2CarPros. I would like to know if you can turn the battery terminals by hand even when they are tightened. If there's any movement when they are tightened, then it is time to replace them. Also, how old is your battery. If you don't know, the should be a date on top or on one of the sides.

Also, if it does it again, try putting the shifter into neutral and then crank it. If it starts then, that suggests a problem with the range switch (tells the computer that is on to start the engine because the car's not in drive). And if that doesn't work, try tapping the starter with a hammer while someone else turns the key. If that works, it suggests that the electrical brushes inside the starter motor are worn and getting stuck, so it's time to replace the starter.

Please let me know if any of this helps and keep us posted. Thanks for using 2CarPros.

Harry
Thursday, March 7th, 2019 AT 5:20 AM
ROBINSON ROBINSON
Thanks for your quick reply! The battery is only about a year young The terminals wont turn by hand they are snug and I did try to start it in neutral it would not start. I went out this morning and it started right up. I am going to have the mechanic do a computer diagnosis on it. Or perhaps something is loose in the wiring to the solenoid or starter. I cannot get under there, my back is a big mess I would not be able to get up. Thank you
Thursday, March 7th, 2019 AT 12:19 PM
HEYMAN1104
If I had to guess, then I'd say that your problem is the solenoid switch on the starter or the starter itself. You'll need to either rebuild or replace it. I've never had good luck getting starters rebuilt. For some reason they always go bad within a couple of weeks on me. So now I just replace them. Hopefully you've got a good and honest mechanic. Good luck and keep us posted.

Harry
+1
Friday, March 8th, 2019 AT 4:39 AM