Starting

ARLUS
  • 2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
Dual question. I was gone for about five hours and when I returned my truck, which had been parked in the driveway, had its lights on. My fault I guess. I put a charger on it overnight. This morning it will crank fine, but it will not start. Seems like it is not getting fuel. Fuel gauge was at E which makes no sense because it had plenty when I parked it. I went ahead and added about two more gallons and tried again, it made no difference.
Second part: Check engine came on two days ago and I stopped by an auto parts place to run the code. I did not get a code number. The guy asked me check the fuel cap, which we did and then said I have a air leak in the fuel system. He recommend I drop the tank and check. The guy seemed put out and in a hurry. Intentions were to go to a dealer this week.
I had no problem driving or starting it prior to the battery being rundown and then recharged.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 4:57 AM

First thing do not take auto advice from a parts guy they only sell parts and are guessing every ting else. try resetting security system because of battery problem. see picture for instructions GM changed security resets around the time of your truck so it may not work. If not look online for your truck on how to reset it. then check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent that. but sounds like a securtiy problem. which any garage mechanic can scan and find out if it is then if something is messed up he can fix it.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
+1
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 12:21 PM
ARLUS
Thanks for the information. After I sent the question I thought I would try disconnecting the cables and leave them off for a couple hours. I then received your reply and went out to try it out. I first connected the cables I took off this morning and gave it a try. It started. I have tried it about three more times and it seems to be starting like it was. Do you feel this is a viable fix similar to your recommendation or should I still be concerned with the truck learning the security test? Thanks again for your help. Is this a great site to ask any type of car related question? I know it was today but I did not know if I would be bombarded with paying for it or with ads. So far things are cool.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 5:16 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one it sounds like the body control module is going bad. You said it had plenty of gas, but read empty and would not start. Those are common symptoms I used to see when I worked for Saturn and that would happen when the body control module went bad. I have seen them suddenly fail from jump starting the battery. Battery going bad or running the batteries down like you did. So keep an eye for weird things not working or acting strange. The body control module controls a lot different things.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 6:16 PM