Staling Out/Idle drop when A/C comes on

MOBEN
  • 2000 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
I have a 2000 Toyota 4runner SR5. For a while now almost 8mos, whenever I'm sitting anywhere in drive (intersection, red light, stop sign etc) my idle sits at 1000. The second I turn the ac on it will immediately drop to 500 and bounce between 1000 to 500 several times as if it wants to stall out. Sometimes in the peak of the heat I can hear the ac compressor turning on and off several times and everytime it does the rpms jump or drop with it. When I put it in neutral the idle seems to sit fine with the ac on but recently it will sometimes start to do the same problems even in neutral. When the ac is off it will usually sit fine as long as it's not long periods of time. Today for the first time it stalled out while sitting at and extended red light without even the ac on.

I went to check my battery and alternator. 4 different places have me 2 different readings, 2 said battery was bad, 2 said alternator. I swapped out my battery. Keep in mind the one I took out was only 18mos old. For about a good 30mims while driving with my new battery I could sit at a red light with ac on full blast and idle sat nice n pretty. Thought wow that was easy, boy was I wrong. It's back at it now again. And actually it seems a bit worse. (Could be my frustration with it). So I'm inclined to think if I need to change my alternator out as well. Cause it seemed fine with the new battery for 30 mins. Also that battery I took out was still fairly new for a battery to be bad so if the alternator was going out that would explain why the battery went bad so fast.

I asked my friend who used to be a mechanic and he said "Dirty idle air control valve on the intake".

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really want to get this fixed already. Extremely annoying problem.
Sunday, October 26th, 2014 AT 8:10 PM

Replace the IAC.
Monday, October 27th, 2014 AT 4:50 AM