Someone put paper towel with sugar in gas tank

JAMESRICHIE
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
Trying to figure out how I can fix the problem I have no money for repair got to do it myself
Monday, February 10th, 2014 AT 11:50 AM

Could use a little more detail. For example, has the engine been run like that or was the damage noticed first? If the engine was run, you may want to get your insurance company involved.

Start by removing the gas tank, then remove as much fuel as possible by siphoning or pouring it out. If the engine has not been run, add about a gallon of clean fuel, then apply power to the pump and pump the fuel into a container. If the fuel stream is strong and steady, the pump is likely okay to reuse. For the best job, have the tank steam-cleaned at a radiator repair shop. They often do that too for repeated fuel pump failures due to microscopic debris that builds up over time. That debris can lock up the impellers in the pumps.

If the stream of fuel is weak, suspect the strainer is plugged. I don't know if that can be cleaned. It might be smarter to replace the pump assembly.

If the engine was run it may be necessary to replace the fuel injectors because they have very fine screens that will be plugged. Try running the engine first before you deal with them. If the strainer caught the sugar before it made it through the pump, the injectors will be okay.
Monday, February 10th, 2014 AT 2:11 PM
JAMESRICHIE
I think its stuck in the pipe it hasn't got in the gas tank
-2
Monday, February 10th, 2014 AT 4:02 PM
That's even better. If you can remove the tube you'll be able to wash the sugar out. I'm sorry I don't know how that tube comes out. Typically it unbolts from the fender but then has to be pulled down along with the tank. That's because there's usually a smaller pipe branching off that won't come through the hole in the fender. On some cars the pipe is in two pieces with a rubber connector hose between them. If you have that, the job will be much easier.
Monday, February 10th, 2014 AT 8:44 PM
LOOKS AS THOUGH "MY ANSWER" GOT DELETED.I SAW IT POSTED LAST NIGHT WITH MY OWN EYES. EVEN THE PICS I SPENT OVER AN HOUR TO MAKE WERE THERE

. GONE

THE DISGRUNTLED MEDIC
Tuesday, February 11th, 2014 AT 4:09 PM