Service engine light on

1970GREENOLDS
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
Came on, had it checked, mechanic did code scan, no codes came up, just said random misfire at start up plus a few other things, he changed the two gaskets and plugs. I drove it for about two weeks and the light came on again. I checked again and same thing, random misfire. He suggest that I change wires, I thought I would also change coil pack and I have not done it yet. I read a couple time on the web from mechanics/ person that the two reasons for random misfire is 1) bad fuel and 2) vacuum leak. I am sure it has nothing to do with bad fuel.
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 6:26 PM

SATURNTECH9
What gaskets were changed?
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 7:22 PM
1970GREENOLDS
Upper intake manifold. On scan it did give of codes random misfire and small evap leak. I did change gas cap.
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 7:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
You did not have any lean bank 1 or bank 2 codes?
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:06 PM
1970GREENOLDS
I do not remember him saying anything about that but could have. The second time I was there and do not remember anything about that being said.
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
The best way to look for a vacuum leak is have a smoke test performed did they do one of those on it?
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:16 PM
1970GREENOLDS
He replaced both gaskets
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:16 PM
1970GREENOLDS
No he did not. I am making a smoke machine and plan on doing myself. But can you recommend which vacuum hose to hook it up to?
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:24 PM
1970GREENOLDS
You really have not help me out much. As far as telling what could or is the problem or (s)
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have to collect information I am not there helping people fix their car over the internet is very challenging. All I have to rely on is what information you give me. Most of the time I have to ask questions beyond what information is given. You would hook up the smoke machine hose to the hose that goes to the brake booster. Make sure you block off the throttle body before you start smoking it. I cannot tell you the problem with the information I have so far. Bad fuel can cause a random misfire have seen that before. Also I do not know what the last guy found what exactly he did to fix it etc. So again the need for all the questions. You could have a vacuum leak that could be a lot of different places so that is the need for a smoke test. Also you could have a egr valve that could be sticking partially open. I am here to help people with their car problems. Giving my free time to help people in need.
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:56 PM
1970GREENOLDS
Is the brake booster on this a square part that is on back with three hoses attached or is it round part?
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 7:21 AM
SATURNTECH9
It is the big round black part on the drivers side mounted to the firewall with the one large vacuum line going to it.
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 7:28 AM
1970GREENOLDS
Okay, I found it, that one hose leads to a small square box along with three other hoses and one of those hoses does lead to the air cleaner tube that goes to the throttle body. Should I hook up to that one?
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 7:50 AM
SATURNTECH9
I wish I had a picture of that, you want one that leads directly into the intake manifold.
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 8:11 AM
1970GREENOLDS
Click on picture to make larger.
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 8:35 AM
SATURNTECH9
Hook it to that big hose that goes right behind your throttle body.
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 8:43 AM
1970GREENOLDS
Okay, I will try that. Thanks
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 8:48 AM
SATURNTECH9
You are welcome.
Saturday, May 21st, 2016 AT 8:51 AM
1970GREENOLDS
Another question; I need something that smokes to put in the glass jar. I found a product that you use outside that you light and it just smokes, but it has a citrus smell to it. Do you think that would be a problem if I use it? It is a round green coil that is use to help keep insect at bay or should I just use a charcoal bis that you get hot place cardboard around it and it smokes.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 12:40 PM
SATURNTECH9
Can you post a picture of your smoke machine? I used a old metal paint sprayer. With a glow plug on the bottom and I use unscented mineral oil from a feed and tack store. I pressurize the machine with a asthma nubulizer machine. Put the inlet and outlet nipples on the top of the paint cup. It works really good.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 2:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
I first tried a fogger machine, bad idea did not work out so well. As far as what your talking about I would not go those routes. That is why I asked to see a picture of what your building.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2016 AT 2:50 PM