Serpentine belt replacement

JACK FRY
  • 1996 FORD F-250
What size socket goes on the tensioner pulley to use the belt removal tool?
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 9:30 AM

There is no chart or reference material that lists that. The proper tool can also vary depending if the original tensioner is still there, a superseded replacement has been installed, or an improved aftermarket replacement was installed. We just look at what type of tool is needed, and if it's an open-end wrench or socket, we try a few to find the right one. Some replacements use a square drive, usually 1/2", as found on the end of a ratchet or breaker bar.

There are tool kits available for tensioners. They come with a variety of adapters to cover almost any application, but there is no list or chart to tell which one is needed.
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 3:32 PM
JACK FRY
Did not answer my question.
-1
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 3:59 PM
Yes I did. There is no definite answer other than to stick your nose under the hood and look. That is how all mechanics answer this question every time they get a different car to work on. If you cannot look for yourself, how are you going to work on it?

If you expect me to run out and find the same truck with the same engine so I can look at it, tell me where you live. What I find here has a real good chance of being different than what is on your truck.
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 6:09 PM
JACK FRY
I needed to get the right size socket to do the job. It is a original factory part.
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 6:26 PM
I do not even know what is needed on my 2014 Dodge truck, my 1994 Grand Voyager, my 1993 Dynasty, or on my 1988 Grand Caravan, and I sure would not expect anyone else to know without looking. I would have to open the hood and look, then try the tool that looks right. As I stated in my first reply that seemed to offend you, there is no chart or list for what you want to know.

The only reason to ask this question is if you're stuck on the side of the road, and you need to walk to town and buy just the one tool you need. The problem still remains that your tensioner could have been supplied to Ford by one of more than one manufacturer, and they would usually not be the same. How would you feel if three different people told you the same tool, then you found out yours is different? Ford is also real famous for making mid-year design changes. Anytime you buy a replacement part for a Ford, you have to know the production date from the door sticker. You are the only person who can accurately answer your question.
-2
Thursday, February 9th, 2017 AT 7:23 PM