Serpentine belt bypass

LONNETTA JONES
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
My A/C will not time. I want to bypass the A/C. Is it possible on my car? My VIN has a U. O'Reilly stated I can not bypass on a 2004.
Saturday, November 10th, 2018 AT 12:59 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon.

They are correct. There is no belt listed for the engine without AC.

The way to do it is to remove the compressor and install a bypass pulley. That you can get from the parts store.

Then you can use your original belt.

procedure

REMOVAL

CAUTION:
- If installing a new air conditioning compressor due to an internal failure of the old unit, you must carry out the following procedures to remove contamination from the air conditioning system.
- If A/C flushing equipment is available, carry out flushing of the air conditioning system prior to installing a new air conditioning compressor.
- If A/C flushing equipment is not available, carry out filtering of the air conditioning system after a new air conditioning compressor has been installed.
- Install a new evaporator core orifice as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
- Install a new suction accumulator as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.

- Refrigerant Compressor Oil (mineral oil) F73Z-19577-AA (Motorcraft YN-9-A) should be used to lubricate R-134a refrigerant system O-ring seals only and should not be added to R-134a refrigerant systems as an A/C compressor lubricant. PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil F7AZ-19D589-DA (Motorcraft YN-12-C) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231-B only should be used as an A/C compressor lubricant.

NOTE:
- If installing a new A/C compressor, the A/C clutch disc and hub, A/C compressor pulley and A/C clutch field coil must be inspected and transferred from the old unit to the new unit if suitable for reuse.
- Installation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of system contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.

1. If flushing of the air conditioning system has not been performed, recover the refrigerant.
2. Remove the RH and LH cooling fans.

ImageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

3. Loosen the tensioner and remove the drive belt from the A/C compressor pulley.

ImageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

4. Disconnect the compressor manifold and tube assembly.
- Discard the O-ring seals.

5. Disconnect the compressor field coil electrical connector.

ImageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

6. NOTE: The upper LH A/C compressor bolt must be removed with the A/C compressor.

Remove the four A/C compressor mounting bolts.

ImageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

7. Remove the A/C compressor.
Saturday, November 10th, 2018 AT 1:13 PM