Compatibility parts

• 1 POST

I am having trouble finding Nissan Sentra parts. I need a strut hanger and spring. What year models are compatible? And are there any other models that have the same strut hanger and spring?

Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 10:50 PM

By "strut hanger", are you referring to the upper mounting plate, or something that is bolted to the strut?

There is two ways to answer your question. The fastest is to visit any salvage yard and look up your parts in their "Hollander" Guide. That is a huge, very expensive book that lists every part for your car with a code number. You look that number up in the back of the book and it will list every application that used that part.

The problem is there can be multiple versions of a certain part, so what is on your car might not be the same as that part on a donor car you have access to.

The next way to do this is to look up the part numbers for the part for your car and others on a web site. I use the Rock Auto site daily for reference. The problem here is you have to look up a pile of models and years, and that can take half a lifetime. This method works best when you already have a donor car and you want to see if its parts match what you need. The problem here is when two cars show the same part number, you can be pretty sure those parts are the same, but when they have different numbers, you don't know why. For example, a 1995 model might have a small bracket welded onto the strut body to anchor the rubber brake hose. The 1994 model might use the exact same strut, but without that bracket. That difference warrants a different part number. You could use the 1995 strut and just ignore that bracket.

To reduce the number of parts in their inventory, many aftermarket manufacturers will build their replacement parts so they will work for multiple applications. In my story, they would build the 1995 strut with the bracket, and just assume you will ignore it when you put it on a 1994 model. They could also make the strut with a bolt-on bracket, and instructions to install it only if your car needs it. For that reason, you will often find the original manufacturer's part numbers are different for two applications, but the aftermarket parts have the same number for those, and many other applications.

Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 11:37 PM